View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2002
Disciple

amatulic is flying high
Default Re: Need a priority flag

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
it would be nice to be able to set a download's priority...
like:
1. Extremely important (immediate download)
2. More Important than the rest of the files (As Soon As Possible)
3. When possible (Whenever - after other are done - can be interrupted by 1or2)
I don't really see the use. My downloads wouldn't be much different if I assigned them any priority. They happen if the host is up, or if the host doesn't cut me off, or if the host has available slots, or if the host has available bandwidth. I can have a list of files in my download queue for a week or more before anything gets completely downloaded.

The point is, my downloads are determined by other hosts, not me. All I can do is express my desires by creating a queue, and if someone happens to want to share a file with me, that's great. Setting priorities on the files won't change any of that.

You think priorities might be useful for allocating download bandwidth, but again, bandwidth that you get to use is still determined by the host. I have a DSL connection. Hosts typically send me stuff between 1K/sec and 10K/sec. My incoming data pipe, at 384K/sec, is plenty big enough to handle several simultaneous downloads at these speeds. Setting priorities on the individual files won't speed anything up because my incoming data pipe isn't even full.

-A