Gnutella Forums

Gnutella Forums (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/)
-   Shareaza (Windows) (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/shareaza-windows/)
-   -   Shareaza hardly downloads anything. (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/shareaza-windows/98301-shareaza-hardly-downloads-anything.html)

Sjru April 15th, 2011 12:03 PM

Shareaza hardly downloads anything.
 
Hello, there, here's my problem:

It turns out that my Shareaza client's downloads are always in pending and sometimes searching status. It hardly ever downloads thing, and when it does, it's very slow (10 kbs).

It's weird because I pass the Shareaza connection test (all green) and I'm always uploading at a fast speed (100kb) to other users.
I don't see it fair that I cannot download anything.

Is there any solution to this? Is perhaps a configuration problem?.

Thanks in advance.

birdy April 15th, 2011 10:44 PM

Hi Sjru,

I don't use Shareaza, but until a Shareaza user posts you could have a look at the link below & see whether any of that info (maybe have a look in the Downloads section) helps:SourceForge.net: Troubleshoot - shareaza

:)

OldDeath April 17th, 2011 01:12 PM

What version of Shareaza are you using? Which networks do you have enabled?

Sjru April 18th, 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy (Post 362855)
Hi Sjru,

I don't use Shareaza, but until a Shareaza user posts you could have a look at the link below & see whether any of that info (maybe have a look in the Downloads section) helps:SourceForge.net: Troubleshoot - shareaza

:)

That didn't work, unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 362885)
What version of Shareaza are you using? Which networks do you have enabled?

By network you mean ports? I have enabled 6346, the default one. I've passed the check, it's all green, still most download display "Pending" and hardly ever one of these get a download.
BTW: I'm using the last version of Shareaza.

OldDeath April 19th, 2011 02:20 PM

No, I am talking about the P2P networks you are using. The default is Gnutella2 (G2), but gnutella, eD2k and DC++ can also be used by Shareaza...

Sjru April 21st, 2011 04:07 PM

I'm using all of them. However it never succedd to connect to DC++, it keeps saying connecting.
About the others, it connects eventually.

Also I have to say that when I have Shareaza on I cannot use any web browser since somehow Shareaza disrupts connections.

OldDeath April 22nd, 2011 05:24 AM

To how many neighbours are you connected to?

What internet connection speed do you have at home?

Does using one of these versions fix your problem: Shareaza - Debug Builds (note: you can safely ignore the debug warning; to get rid of it completely, search our Wiki for "command line switches" and include them in your startup entry / Shareaza link)

Sjru April 22nd, 2011 08:44 AM

I'm usually connected at the max allowed neighbors. I think it says 1024 or so.

I do have a 2mb connection, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast, but if I have Shareaza on I cannot use any kind of browser, not even jdownloader as it says "connection lost".

I'll try the debug build. I'd reply back when I do.

OldDeath April 24th, 2011 01:47 PM

You don't need more then 2 leaf2Hub connections for optimal connection. Having anything more will not at all affect your search results or download speeds positively.

And if you're having connection and internet problems, try stepping down your settings to no more than 8 peer2peer ones and 400 Hub2leaf ones. This should solve your problem. Probably your router is not capable of maintaining that much simultaneous connections (probably it's the many UDP packets that do kill it and cause the connection losses).

Lord of the Rings April 24th, 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 362963)
... Probably your router is not capable of maintaining that much simultaneous connections ...

This was my thought when I saw this topic yesterday/day before. Sounded potentially like too many connections for the router to handle. Some routers handle large numbers of connections better than others. Also, Wireless connection devices tend to struggle the most with very high numbers of connections. For a start, wireless connected devices have a tendency to be inconsistent when they are pushed with heavier needs. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Sjru April 26th, 2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 362963)
You don't need more then 2 leaf2Hub connections for optimal connection. Having anything more will not at all affect your search results or download speeds positively.

And if you're having connection and internet problems, try stepping down your settings to no more than 8 peer2peer ones and 400 Hub2leaf ones. This should solve your problem. Probably your router is not capable of maintaining that much simultaneous connections (probably it's the many UDP packets that do kill it and cause the connection losses).

Thanks, that solved my problem of me having no connection when running Shareaza. Unfortunately, still most of my downloads display pending.
Strangely enough, those downloads that are without sources, instead of pending its says "On queue".
From time to time I get some download bits, but they're rare. Do I have to set up something for that?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings (Post 362973)
This was my thought when I saw this topic yesterday/day before. Sounded potentially like too many connections for the router to handle. Some routers handle large numbers of connections better than others. Also, Wireless connection devices tend to struggle the most with very high numbers of connections. For a start, wireless connected devices have a tendency to be inconsistent when they are pushed with heavier needs. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Thanks, but I'm on a ADSL not Wi-fi. (I do have it though).

OldDeath April 28th, 2011 04:52 AM

OK... So about how many downloads are we speaking? And do they have sources within the G2 network (blue icons)?

(To see all sources, have a look at the source filter in the lower right corner. In case you can't see it, you will have to switch to power mode within the view menu.)

Sjru April 28th, 2011 11:39 AM

Many, over 90.
Typically my downloads have 40 -100 sources, maybe more. What's weird is that I'm always uploading (At good speed). Just I don't get it why my downloads are always on pending and rarely downloads something.
Just to point out, I used to have that problem with Emule until I switched to Ares, but then I deleted it and started over with Shareaza.

OldDeath April 28th, 2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 363021)
[...]do they have sources within the G2 network (blue icons)?

...or do they have only sources within the eD2k network?

Sjru May 1st, 2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 363025)
...or do they have only sources within the eD2k network?

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I check that?

OldDeath May 2nd, 2011 06:48 AM

Each source has an icon. If that icon shows a stylized donkey, it's an eD2k source. If it shows G1 or G2, the source is a gnutella or Gnutella2 one respectively...

Sjru May 15th, 2011 11:51 AM

If that's the case, then most of my downloads are Ed2k, there are however some downloads with the globe icon and others.

Still unfortunately when I have Shareaza on I cannot surf the web with any browser, even I think that problem is stopping Shareaza from downloading.

Maybe I've screwed something when tweaking the program. Is there a way to set all settings to default?

OldDeath May 19th, 2011 03:17 PM

Hmmmm... eD2k downloads tend to be very slow.

As for your problems with browsing while Shareaza is running, have you tried forcing Shareaza to leaf only mode (some routers/modems are that weak that they do not support Shareaza in Hub mode). You can do so by going to the G2 network settings and changing the dropdown box from "Optimal" or "Hub" to "Leaf".

Uninstalling Shareaza and installing it again should reset it to its defaults.

Sjru May 20th, 2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 363339)
Hmmmm... eD2k downloads tend to be very slow.

How far slow? It's because the queue?; BTW on that, what's the ideal config on max queue? I currently have it on 2000, maybe because of that I just get on queue and pending status?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 363339)
As for your problems with browsing while Shareaza is running, have you tried forcing Shareaza to leaf only mode (some routers/modems are that weak that they do not support Shareaza in Hub mode). You can do so by going to the G2 network settings and changing the dropdown box from "Optimal" or "Hub" to "Leaf".

Thanks, I'll try that. But what Leaf and Hub mean? If I switch to leaf only I'll download slower?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDeath (Post 363339)
Uninstalling Shareaza and installing it again should reset it to its defaults.

But that would delete my partial downloads!. There should be a config.ini somewhere that I can delete, isn't it?-.

EDIT: Oh, also I've found that I appear as a source of my downloads. If I scroll over my name there it states that (me) is inactive (BTW; the {almost all} other sources also appear as inactive. Is that normal?

Also I've told the program to conect to DC++, however in the status panel it shows that I'm disconnected from that network. Did I do something wrong?
Thanks.

OldDeath May 31st, 2011 09:46 AM

As v2.5.5.0 has been released recently, I'd suggest you upgrade before doing anything else.

Leaf mode is one of two modes within the G2 network. Hub nodes coordinate the network, while Leaf nodes are passive network participants. So if you have problems with the current setup, forcing Shareaza not to try to do network coordinating tasks can free up some resources and therefore sometimes improve the performance of other tasks... Note that there is no difference in uploading, downloading and searching between the two network modes.

Also you will not loose your partial downloads when uninstalling Shareaza and installing it again.

As for DC++, you will notice that its performance and connectivity increases with the latest release. Don't forget that closing the chat window that opens when connecting to a DC++-Hub, as closing it will also terminate the connection again.

Sjru May 31st, 2011 10:04 AM

Hmm, about the latest version: Shareaza claims that there isn't any new version.

Despite that I went to the homepage and I tried to download the latest version however it links me to the 2.5.4.0 version instead of the 2.5.5.0 version.
Isn't there any direct download link?

Lord of the Rings May 31st, 2011 10:13 AM

I see same issue when downloading it, not to mention the download page details also listing 2.5.4.0 ;)

File_Girl71 May 31st, 2011 01:18 PM

:) You can get Shareaza 2.5.5.0 from here: Download Shareaza 2.5.5.0 - SourceForge.net

OldDeath May 31st, 2011 02:44 PM

Our website update has not been completed yet.

Shareaza can do downloaded - as always - from SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sha...aza%202.5.5.0/

Sjru June 20th, 2011 02:01 PM

Hello, I now have another problem: Seems that Shareaza connects to 1 neighboor, and most errors from the Net tab are from "Connection losts". Maybe I touched something without realising it?

Also why Shareaza says that I'm not connected to Dc++? It never seems to be able to connect to DC++.

OldDeath July 10th, 2011 12:07 PM

First look whether you still pass the connection test, because that is the common reason for (new) problems.

As for DC++, it is still a "beta" component and you will have to do the first connection (and maybe following connections, IDK) manually before you get connected. Note that if you close the chat window that opens on connection, you get disconnected again, as the chat component is a key feature of DC++ and necessary for operation.

Sjru July 19th, 2011 09:53 AM

I do pass all those test; I didn't know there was a procedure to connect to Dc++ though; can you post a link so I can learn more about that, please?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Copyright 2020 Gnutella Forums.
All Rights Reserved.