Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > Technical Support > Download/Upload Problems
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Download/Upload Problems Problems with downloading or uploading files through the Gnutella network.
* Please specify whether the file problem is a Gnutella network shared file OR a Torrent file. *

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2002
Unregistered

Question corrupted files

Since I downloaded the most recent limewire version for my Mac, I sometimes get a warning that the file downloaded is corrupted. So is a corrupted file a virus? I scan them and they seem fine, I've played a corrupted mp3 file and it worked well. So Anyone have any idea what's bad about using a file designated as corrupt?
Old September 26th, 2002
Connoisseur

Treatid is flying high

A corrupt file is one that is different to one or more of the sources it was downloaded from. i.e. the file downloaded has one or more bytes that are not the same as the source.

LimeWire does not check for viruses - you should provide your own virus checking facilities.

A small amount of corruption in audio and video (particularly streaming audio and video) stands a very good chance of not being noticeable.

In executable code and compressed files, corruption is frequently fatal - the corrupted file often can't be used - and great care should be taken if it is used.

Mark
Old October 1st, 2002
Unregistered

Default More Corruption

I've also noticed that since I downloaded 2.6.3 for mac OS X that 80% of the files I'm downloading get to the last 10 seconds of the download, then displays the message that the file is corrupt. It asks "do I want to continue downloading"? I reply OK, and it deletes the downloaded data and kills the download. Clicking on NO, stops the download, and marks the data "file corrupted". I don't even get a chance to try and play it!

Whazzup?
Old October 2nd, 2002
Connoisseur

Treatid is flying high

Although corruption is occasionally picked up earlier - an extra check is made on completion of the file - therefore most corruption reports occur at the end of a file download.

Clicking 'OK' should continue the download as normal. It should not delete the file.

What will normally happen is that LimeWire will complete the download - build a hash (I think) which takes a while, then move the file to your save folder.

Clicking 'No' is working as designed by the sound of it.

I generally accept corrupt files but give them a thorough check once they are downloaded. Frequently the files end up as 0 bytes (empty files) - it is possible that OS X automatically hides or deletes (or doesn't allow the creation of) empty files.

80% of files corrupt sounds excessive.

But I really can't tell whether you have found a bug or are just downloading a type of file that is prone to corruption (or from multiple sources that make a habit of changing files).

Mark
Old October 2nd, 2002
Novicius

davidnwca is flying high

Mark.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I have been hitting the YES button to finish downloading the supposedly corrupted file. But not one of them has shown up anywere on my system. They simply vanish.

You may be right in that OS X is seeing them as 0K files since that's how they show up in the "incomplete" folder within Limewire's libraries.

Still, I wish I could do what you suggested and finish the download and judge the integrity of the file on my own. It just seems like the software has other ideas. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I did download a fresh copy of 2.6.3 PRO last night and it seems to happen a bit less frequently. Or, that could just be coincidental.

Thanks again.
David
Old October 7th, 2002
Unregistered

I'm using winXP pro with the service pack 1

I get the same figures here: about 80% of the downloaded files end up corrupted.

I don't think it's a bug. I tried other applications (gnucleus and bear share) and I get the same problem with MP3s. It's fairly recent, I'd say a couple of weeks. It's not my system, I just reinstalled it, it's rock steady and other types of downloaded files are perfectly ok.

Is it some knid of problem within the Gnutella network?