Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > Open Discussion topics
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Open Discussion topics Discuss the time of day, whatever you want to. This is the hangout area. If you have LimeWire problems, post them here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2002
npittman

Question local area network gnutella

i am looking for feedback as to how easy it would be to limit a gnutella client (like limewire for instance) to a local area network.
any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated!
-Nat
Old November 27th, 2002
Connoisseur

efield is flying high

I tried this with LimeWire 2.6.3 earlier this month and it sort of worked. What I did was in the Options > Filters > Hosts add *.*.*.* to the Filter Hosts section to exclude all at first and then added my local netblocks to the Allow Hosts section such as 141.51.*.*

You might need to relaunch LimeWire for those changes to take full effect. The setup was fine but the usage didn't work so well. Upload requests from outside the LAN still reached my computer as shown by my firewall logs, since the local hosts I connected to were still connected to the Internet and the query hits continued onto there. LimeWire ignored the upload requests since they were not in the LAN.

When I was downloading one file it downloaded from two sources even though I was pretty sure that the second source was not on the LAN. In other words while you deny uploads to the Internet apparently you can leech from it for downloads. Search results for queries I sent out were limited to the LAN. Most importantly, it was hard to maintain a connection since LimeWire didn't have enough local IPs to connect to. A custom gnutella.net filled with local IPs may have helped here.

Gnucleus has a separate LAN version.
Old November 27th, 2002
Modding Member

RaaF is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Phex is perfect for setting up private networks

Old November 27th, 2002
bigjohn1101

Default How many files do I have access to

How many files do I have access to? My limewire window always says "sharing 271 files". I am looking for a particular mp3 which is never available.

--John
Old November 27th, 2002
Connoisseur

Julie Z is flying high
Default Re: How many files do I have access to

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn1101
How many files do I have access to? My limewire window always says "sharing 271 files". I am looking for a particular mp3 which is never available.

--John
Those 271 files are your files that you are sharing with others.

I don't think there's any way to know exactly how many files are available to you to find/download.
Old November 27th, 2002
npittman

Smile thanks

i am going to go check out that gnucleus version--thanks for the info!
Old December 1st, 2002
Novicius

admanta is flying high

I guess I'm not understanding what your asking, in a LAN inviroment, you need not up or download, because your access is direct at least it is on my network... please explain