Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > Technical Support > Connection Problems
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Connection Problems Problems getting the LimeWire or WireShare program connecting to the Gnutella network. (not about connecting to files, that is a Download/Upload Problems section issue.) Please supply system details as described in the forum rules.
Start here Suggestions to help you get connected, * try here first *, then see below (click on 'this' blue link)

Did you FORGET something BEFORE you posted? If you post in this section you MUST provide these details: System details - help us to help you (click on 'this' blue link), else do not be surprised if your posting is ignored :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2004
Apprentice

Mommosan is flying high
Unhappy Connection issue

SDASWANI, you wanted to know how your 'jar' fix worked. It doesn't! I am hoping you will tap into your software engineer expertise once again in an additional attempt to resolve this problem.

Again, I downloaded the 'jar' file, deleted settings, and tried again to connect. No luck!

NOTE: There is a little red icon dot in the lower left corner of the page. I noted that, when I click on 'connect,' that light turns green for a fraction of a second, and immediately reverts back to red.

Are you any closer to finding a solution to this problem?

Last edited by Mommosan; May 15th, 2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old May 16th, 2004
Novicius

red-point is flying high
Default Connection problems

Ach, HELP with Connection problems!

I have read through both threads on this subject and tried all suggested fixes.

Oddly enough, I do not have the "advanced" tab available for my LAN settings, so I am unable to verify if Microsoft firewall is enabled. However, I believe it is not. I do have Norton personal firewall running, but have not been able to get it allow Limewire to connect. I tried adding javaw.exe to the allowed list (as suggested by the Limewire web site), but that didn't work.

If I disable norton personal firewall I am still unable to connect.

Please someone help.
Old May 23rd, 2004
ejwestlake

Unhappy still not connecting

I used the purger and I've deleted the preferences directory myself. I'm running OS X. The connection problem didn't start happening until I updated my java to JRE 1.4.2. Could that be related? Strange.
Old May 24th, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

Bootylicious is flying high
Default Re: still not connecting

Quote:
Originally posted by ejwestlake
I used the purger and I've deleted the preferences directory myself. I'm running OS X. The connection problem didn't start happening until I updated my java to JRE 1.4.2. Could that be related? Strange.
If you have not already done so, see if downloading the latest version (4.0.4) of LW will help.
Old May 29th, 2004
Novicius

nathan jefferson is flying high
Red face Worked for me

I had windows xp and zone alarm firewalls running, so I couldnt
connect. I closed both firewalls, and still no dice. I rebooted and
tried to connect again still nothing. I was pissed. Than something
hit me, even with zone alarm shut down there still are problems with Limewire. Then it hit me. Uninstall zone alarm, presto instant connection.
Old May 30th, 2004
Kfiler

Having your port forwarded through any router/firewall on your cable modem is very important.

Even if you can talk to the gnutella network through a firewall you will not be able to get many files because most other people are behind firewalls.

Two firewalled people can't "push" or share files with each other.

So if you want faster and more downloads, learn how to port forward. It's not all that hard to do.
Old June 30th, 2004
spiers

I cant connect either. Ive also lost my downloads now because people telling me i had to delete the .limewire program. I have configured three firewalls to work with limewire and it aint working. It used to stay disconnected for about 30 mins then connect but now ive been waiting 3 hours and it wont connect. Ive copied my incomplete folder so i can send it back which is ok i reckon. What do i do? Is it because i dont have Pro? the network it refusing me. Ive also started to share large numbers of files but it still dosent connect!
Old July 5th, 2004
Novicius

ohgoody50 is flying high
Default Connection Problems

I have followed all the steps that have been provided to solve this connection problem. I still am having no luck getting a connection. I just downloaded Limewire on Tuesday night and by Wednesday it would no longer connect. I am running Windows XP. Please help!!
Old July 5th, 2004
Novicius

leo82 is flying high
Default connection problems--I tried everything!

Hi, thanks in advance for any help you can offer:

I recently downloaded Limewire 4.0.7 and successfully installed it, but the problem is it doesn't connect. I have a wireless network connection (WLAN) and the internet works fine. I use Windows XP. The firewall on windows is turned off. This computer came preinstalled with Norton Anti-Virus 2003, but that program doesn't seem to have a firewall anyway (if it does, please tell me how to turn it off!). I tried deleting the .limewire preferences directory, as recommended, but that didn't help. I also downloaded the jar file and double clicked on it, but nothing happened. The jar file didn't open, nor was the connection fixed when I restarted limewire. I've tried connecting on different ports, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Please help!

Old July 14th, 2004
Spitfire

POSSIBLE CONNECTION-SOLUTION!!!

Hello Everyone, because I couldn't connect either, I've read this forum and tried everything. First I discovered the same problem as some of you:
-------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE:
SDASWANI, you wanted to know how your 'jar' fix worked. It doesn't! I am hoping you will tap into your software engineer expertise once again in an additional attempt to resolve this problem.

Again, I downloaded the 'jar' file, deleted settings, and tried again to connect. No luck!

NOTE: There is a little red icon dot in the lower left corner of the page. I noted that, when I click on 'connect,' that light turns green for a fraction of a second, and immediately reverts back to red.

Are you any closer to finding a solution to this problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------

LimeWire worked with me after I had done the following:

- exit LimeWire (also in taskbar)
- delete the preferences directory
- download the 'jar' file, and open it in Winzip
- extract it to the LimeWire directory (2 files will be added to the directory)
- I also shut down Norton Internet Security, but I think that won't be necessary.

After I had done all this, I started LimeWire......and it connected!!!
First, the connection was 'poor' but later on it became 'good'.

I hope this helps for more people. Good luck!!!

greetz, Spitfire