Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > New Feature Requests
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Feature Requests Your idea for a cool new feature. Or, a LimeWire annoyance that has to get changed.

Welcome To Gnutella Forums

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features after your registration and email confirmation. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here) (Note: we use Yandex mail server so make sure yandex is not on your email filter or blocklist.)

If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.

Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread

Thank you

If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Spamming is illegal in many countries of the world. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.

Deutsch?              Español?                  Français?                   Nederlands?
   Hilfe in Deutsch,   Ayuda en español,   Aide en français et LimeWire en françaisHulp in het Nederlands

Forum Rules

Support Forums

Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.

When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)

Moderators

There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.

The Rules

1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.

2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.

3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.

4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.

5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.

6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.

7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.

8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.

9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.

10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.

11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.

12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.

13. Dual accounts are not allowed. Cannot explain this more simply. Attempts to set up dual accounts will most likely result in a banning of all forum accounts.

14. Video links may only be posted after you have a tally of two forum posts. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam.

15. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.

Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.

Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2005
Queued

Default or Awaiting Sources

I would like there to be one change that I think would be most helpful and that would be to allow us to see if we are in someones queue. I mean, I click on Resume, it then says Queued, then Awaiting sources, so what am I? Am I in someones Queue or am I still in limbo awaiting sources? I'd really like to know what position I am in someones queue and how many are before me. I think that little bit of info would be most useful.
Old March 7th, 2005
Gnutella Admirer

GooRoo is flying high
Default Re: or Awaiting Sources

Quote:
Originally posted by Queued
I would like there to be one change that I think would be most helpful and that would be to allow us to see if we are in someones queue. I mean, I click on Resume, it then says Queued, then Awaiting sources, so what am I? Am I in someones Queue or am I still in limbo awaiting sources? I'd really like to know what position I am in someones queue and how many are before me. I think that little bit of info would be most useful.
My experience has been that "awaiting sources" means that the 'source' one attempted to download a file from has gone off-line. Otherwise, one may get "waiting for busy host" (not in the queue), or if lucky "... position ##" if in the queue, with ##-1 being the number of users ahead of you in the queue.
Old March 8th, 2005
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

(Just in response to the last few posts.)

It is my understanding the Resume button was designed to attempt to connect to the original sources. And that the Find Sources button was designed to try to re-connect to files that had been downlding earlier in that same session.

However it's my belief (right/wrong) that too many people have an easy plug & play attitude where they just want to open LW & resume all their files & runaway & play another game. I believe that's abusing the abilities of LW. It puts a lot of pressure on LW, the computer's resources, & also the connection, & probably also the Gnutella network with too much simultaneous/constant traffic. On the forum people wonder why their computers freeze or lose connection, or get poor results.

I find Resume is best used when a file has been previously downlding that session but stopped or else, the search results are still present & valid. Or the function is used well after LW has settled down & attempted to make its own connections with all incomplete files. Then choosing to resume individual files. Well that's my experience & IMHO.

A search for the topic is the best way to find sources IMO. So LW sometimes needs some baby-sitting. Just letting LW look after itself seems to work for me most times. Perhaps b/c I very quickly seem to have people uploading from me - and I have a variety of shared material.
Old March 10th, 2005
Queued_1

Default sorry if I mention something I shouldn't

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention other P2P programs here, so if you must, delete this post if I shouldn't have.

And I'm sorry if this sounds like an attack, if it does, it's not intentional and I don't mean it to but -

LOTR - Resuming a download from the original sources? Sorry, any other P2P will seek out new sources during the course of a download session for example "WinMX" will seek out new sources every 10 minutes and if it finds new sources you'll get multiple streams, just like Limewire, so I don't know why Limewire would just get stuck on a hump trying to resume from the original source host, do you? Mutliple point download is just that, if you're downloading from one individual and then he logs off, you shouldn't get stuck on a hump for days waiting for that individual to hook up again, should you? The program should just say, need more sources, not "Awaiting sources - queued - connecting - Awaiting sources" after you hit Resume.

What it should say is "Need more sources - searching - Need more sources", that's if it can't find that file on the network, not from the original source.

Or when you you go back to your computer the next day to see how your downloads are doing, if one of your downloads have stopped downloading the status pane should just be blank and that Resume button should say search when you click on the file you have partially downloaded that had stopped downloading.

Have you tried WinMX? I'm not saying it's better, but it will get results from multiple hosts for the same file even when one host disconnects you from their files, if that files available, it will pick up where the previous hosts left off and you'll continue to download.

I like Limewire, I think Limewire is one of the best P2P file sharing programs available, I just thought I would mention something that might make it even better.

I know if a file isn't available, well then, it isn't available, don't say I'm in queue and then put me back into the "Awaiting sources" limbo again, because searching and being in queue are two different things.
Old March 11th, 2005
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I don't know about WinMX b/c I use mac & there's no mac version of it. I use win LW purely for trouble-shooting. Sure some p2p apps (particularly those that use other nerdworks) are query frenzic! They send out query after query & repeat. But on the Gnutella network there's an agreement b/w the developers of the respectable p2p apps that they will develop their apps to run in a healthy manner on the network & not clog speeds due to traffic. ie: not sending out too many search queries. That's why it's very difficult to get earlier versions of LW, b/c to allow them to be still available would be irresponsible & not good for the network. There's some p2p apps out there who stick their thumbs (or finger) up at everybody & don't design responsible programs. So what would you prefer, a program that sends out query after query after query & wait half an hour or longer for it to finish & find your downlds suffer from heavy traffic speeds (which is what could potentially happen if the above isn't done), or would you prefer better downld speeds & accept a compromise in regards to finding sources. I'm sure the other members could word this better for they know a damned site more than me. By the way, I did use a mac program that works in a similar fashion to the other networks & this one also ran on another network.
Old March 11th, 2005
Gnutella Muse

gbildson is flying high

Requerying every 10 minutes would destroy many positive features of the network. That type of activity would cause 90% or more of all query traffic to be requeries and reduce user initiated queries to 10% or less. Given that this would attempt to jam too many queries through the network, all queries would more quickly die off (from flow control) and the overall experience would get worse.

We have download meshes which connect sources for a file together directly. If new sources for the file become known, then these sources will show up in the download mesh and get propagated to new downloaders. This is a low cost way to get new sources other than through requerying.

If your download dies, it requires user intervention to restart. This is the best way to prevent excessive requerying. Any automated requerying is too much.
Old March 11th, 2005
halo flow

There should be an option to allow a third party app to scan downloaded files for viruses.

And please create a community-related interface (ex. soulseek).
Old March 11th, 2005
Gnutella Muse

gbildson is flying high

Many virus checkers will detect that a file is being added to the disk and scan them without any integration. At least I see tat more and more.
Old March 13th, 2005
massillonmarine

Default Multiple Media Players

I was hoping we could have a way to pick what player is to be used on what file. In my instance if it doesn't work on WMP, I switch over to DivX to see if it plays. Also, maybe a person would have a 3rd media player. So I'm asking for a way to pick between as many as 3 media players to play a file.
Old March 14th, 2005
Unreg4645uytg

• Ultrapeers should drop search results with -4 or worse rating on Bitzi, as determined by file hash.
  • There should be a way to rate files from right inside Limewire, right next to Block Host.
  • More general Bitzi integration?
  • Block host should (perhaps optionally) block every known source for a file, not just a random one of them.
  • Small files with only one source are harder to get than they probably should be. Shortest-job-first queueing might be nice. Also, files that can fit in a single network packet should be sent in lieu of busy signals or other just-as-big responses that just mean the file will be re-requested shortly.
  • It should be possible to save off a chunk of your pending-downloads list. It might be nice to have separate lists for results from separate searches, and to also have separate download directories for separate searches. Currently the only way to have that effect is to make multiple installs, one for each query, and switch among them. Nasty workaround, and a huge waste of disk space.
  • Distributed hashing?
  • BitTorrent capability? Large files you shared would automatically create and share a .torrent as well; compatible clients (i.e. with both gnutella and bittorrent capability) would display the two search results as one item and try to get the file from bittorrent.
  • Caching of small files on ultrapeers?
  • Cascading of small file downloads -- many jpegs on the same host tarred, sent as one transfer, and untarred transparently at the other end? Downside -- interrupted transfer might not be easily resumed, since only the exact same host is likely to have all of the same files.
  • Performance is (still) poor on 1.5GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, cable inet system.
  • What is with files of only 10-20K getting 3% done and then aborting spontaneously? Are there clients out there that can be put in a "leech without seeming to leech" mode in which they share thousands of files but cap uploads at 0.01kb/s and randomly drop connections? If so can these be punished somehow?
  • 4.8.1 exhibits frequent hangs. The UI won't redraw and there is 100% cpu use. Even if its priority is lowered and there's a lot of physical RAM free, other apps are slow and unresponsive. Left alone it eventually recovers, only to hang again some time later. 4.6 did not do this, but it did have some sluggishness issues all the same.
  • Duplicate file database. Every file that was downloaded successfully has its SHA1 added. Files with the same SHA1 are filtered from future search results. Downside: if you download a file and find it's been substituted with garbage (an ad, typically) you won't be able to try to get it again and hope to get the real McCoy. The file, when completely downloaded, must be rehashed and that hash put in the duplicate file database, so the original is still going to show up until you get it. This way you can also tell if the file has a misleading name or if the file should have been something else but a bad node substituted junk when you downloaded it.
  • Integrated previewer. Newly downloaded files are moved to a "New files" list for review. You preview them and can delete, move to library, etc. Turned off by default; advanced users can turn it on. When turned off, files are moved automatically, i.e. the current behavior.
  • Library organizer. Library tab should make it easy to create subfolders and move/rename files, to categorize stuff.
  • Any time a search turns up a file that is in your library, the search query is remembered in a database associated with that file, and Limewire will return that file as a hit for any search for that query done by someone else. When you first download the file, and it is moved to the library, the search query that led to your downloading the file is associated with it in this way, and others get added later on. (These same duplicate hits get weeded out of your search results.) Thus if your search for "trees" produced an opaquely-named file like "DSC00156.jpg" it will be returned by your machine as a hit for "trees". If you later search for "plants" and this same file (same SHA1) is a hit, you won't see the search result, but that file will now match both "trees" and "plants" when your node is searched.
  • More efficient sharing of a large library. Limewire gets slow and cranky with thousands of files shared, so how about having it share only one shared folder at a time, but change which one every so often; or making this an option. (A shared folder with only subdirectories won't count; one with files and subdirectories would have the files shared; the subdirectories would get rotated to eventually.)
  • Ultrapeers should not drop search results unless they are actually overloaded, no matter how many hits for one query there are. (How widely supported is OOB result returning now, anyway? There's really no need for results to be limited at all, or for them to go through the ultrapeers; they should be sent straight to the querying node, save if they must go through one intermediate host to get past firewalls, just like a download.)
  • Ultrapeers with dialup leaves should cache the smaller files on those leaves, and return (OOB) the cached copy of such a file as a hit where possible. This will take some of the burden off modem users, and make some of the files they host more consistently available. When a query matches a small (<500K) file on a modem leaf as determined by an ultrapeer, and that ultrapeer has cache space available, it should download the file itself, and pass on the file as it receives it to the requesting node. Subsequent requests for the file that reach that ultrapeer can return the cached file without the dialup host being bothered at all. The file expires eventually when not requested for more than some period of time.
Old March 14th, 2005
Unregis8tered

In the "Overwrite existing file" dialog, add options "Yes to all" and "No to all" in addition to "Yes" and "No".

Add checkbox "Don't show this again" to the startup dialog that tells you limewire pro exists.
Old March 14th, 2005
Jijsdighdsop

PLEASE- GET MORE PROGRAM's:
E.X.
ILLEGAL ACTIVITY
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edited to comply with the House Rules.
Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form.

Last edited by murasame; March 16th, 2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old March 14th, 2005
xenophase

It would be nice if a filter for minimum file sizes could be added, as that would allow the filtering of many bogus multimedia files under (example) 300 kb. I don't know the purpose of these files, but they pop up on nearly every search.
Old March 14th, 2005
Unre3547468u

Enable resume/find sources button with "Try Again" caption for files with the status es Complete and File Corrupt. In the latter case you want to reattempt getting it, preferably while the source is still online, and should not need to explicitly search for it. In the former case, the file might prove on examination to have been substituted with an ad or other junk, or otherwise damaged without the damage being detected resulting in File Corrupt status. In that case you want it to delete the file and attempt to get it again, but you might want to block the host that sent the bogus/substitute file so you have greater odds of getting the real McCoy next attempt. (There's some files I've been trying to get for ages that turn up frequently in search results but never seem to download right -- one I've gotten six or seven times and it's never shown a status of File Corrupt, but it's also been broken beyond use in every single instance!)

This brings me to another matter: finer grained detection of corruption. Really, each time a chunk of file arrives and the progress meter notches forward a bit, it should be possible to check that one chunk against some check bits tacked onto the end and rerequest just the one chunk if it's damaged. This will reduce accidental file corruption to nearly nil without having to reget entire files, only pieces. That leaves intentional corruption by hostile nodes that join the mesh for a file and send garbage or advertisements, corrupting and vandalizing the file. This is simple -- all files participating in a mesh need to have the same exact file, with the same SHA1. When downloading from a newly-discovered source begins, Limewire can request a random chunk of the file that it already has and compare it with the version it already has of that chunk. If the new chunk doesn't match and does have proper check bits, it's probably a hostile node trying to pollute the download, and should be dropped rather than downloaded from. Your node also won't refer other nodes to the hostile node. If it matches, it then requests chunks it does not have from that source in order to download part of the file from it. Downside is, if the first source to send any chunk of a file was hostile, it will download from only the bad actors! But at least the mesh for a file with bad nodes in it will get divided into two disjoint chunks, one sharing a bogus file and one the real file, and if you got the right one to begin with you will get the entire correct file and not a partially corrupt file.

This could also use Bitzi-like reputation management features, in which not only whole files but just chunks have reputations. The version of a chunk with majority representation in the mesh might rule; or volunteers can preview chunks (for some formats this should be possible) and vote them up/down.
Old March 15th, 2005
Registered I am not

When it comes to searching for music, there should be another search option for the decade that you are looking for. (e.g. 70's, 80's, 90's)