Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Discontinued Gnutella Client Forums > XoloX (Windows) > XoloX Feature Request
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

XoloX Feature Request Missing something? Let us know. XoloX has been discontinued. We highly recommend you use an actively developed client instead.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2001
Unregistered

Thumbs down Uploadlimit for search-requests

How about a uploadlimit for searches and search-requests? Ppl who are running cable, would seriously like it coz we have an uploadlimit around 16Kb/sec, but when i'm d/ling and everyone is draining all my u/l capacity with their searches, i can't d/l fast anymore... And align the u/l limit to d/l limit =)
Old October 18th, 2001
lazy dragon - retired mod

Morgwen is flying high

Hi!

Have you tried bearshare? In bearshare you can disconnect to all your hosts (if you want only download!) - no search results - full bandwidth!

cu,

Morgwen
Old October 18th, 2001

Moak is flying high

Morgwen, you recomend freeloading? I can't believe!
Indeed this a very cool feature of Bearshare if you wanna break down gnutella.... don't forget how many busy slots you see allready - and don't forget gnutella is sharing!

However limiting the upload traffic to a max could be very usefull, if advanced users exactly know what they do. I never reached the limit with my DSL connection. Propably this is another option for the often requested "advanced nerds option".
Old October 18th, 2001

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Moak
Morgwen, you recomend freeloading? I can't believe!
Indeed this a very cool feature of Bearshare if you wanna break down gnutella.... don't forget how many busy slots you see allready - and don't forget gnutella is sharing!

However limiting the upload traffic to a max could be very usefull, if advanced users exactly know what they do. I never reached the limit with my DSL connection. Propably this is another option for the often requested "advanced nerds option".
I agree Moak!

But sometimes when you download large files, you need your full bandwidth! I recommend it only sometimes - I know Gnutella is sharing...

Morgwen
Old October 18th, 2001

Moak is flying high

> But sometimes when you download large files, you need your full bandwidth!

Why? That you can download faster, while nobody can from you? This IS freeloading, Im sorry to say that.
Old October 18th, 2001

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
> But sometimes when you download large files, you need your full bandwidth!

Why? That you can download faster, while nobody can from you? This IS freeloading, Im sorry to say that.
Ähem Moak!

There are weeks bearshare is running the whole day - and I don´t download anything - the uploadstatisktik says about 400 MB daily!

You call it freeloading "400 MB" daily...

Sorry but for me there is a difference between "my freeloading" and "free-"loading...

Forgot to say since I have DSL I no freeloader anymore!

Morgwen,

a shameless freeloader!
Old October 18th, 2001

Moak is flying high

Okay, but then your first posting makes no sense, sorry to say:

If you use DSL (german telekom), upload is split from download... so you personally do NOT get a a higher download ratio by cutting off gnutella and other users downloading from you. While Bearshare does not support multihosted parallel downloads you personally never use your complete download streams ratio. So even the minimal gnutella backbone traffic (compared to DSL) is not reducing your ability to suck fast.

So why would you recommend freeloading? Because it's faster for modem users to download... yes, freeloading is egoizm and that's the problem! In a more global context such a feature is contra productive for the gnutella network, less files for all of us and fragmentated horizons. Right now we have statistics from Limewire AFAIK that a few people share, while many users download only. This means a lot of busy slots + a lot of freeloaders. I think a good client should NOT allow freeloading... it might be cool, but it is hurting everyone if missused. I belive you do not missuse your Bearshare (sure!), but the problem is it will be missused.

Reducing this posting to one sentence:
Gnutella is sharing, freeloading options are contra productive.

Last edited by Moak; October 18th, 2001 at 10:50 AM.
Old October 18th, 2001

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
Okay, but then your first posting makes no sense, sorry to say:
[/B]
Why? I know the problem with a 56k Modem! You want to download a huge file (so slow) and you need your half bandwidth to keep your connection alive... and you wait hours and hours until the file is dowloaded (hopefully)... meanwhile nobody has downloaded a file - makes this sense?

Ok, you will say how can somebody download when I have disconnected from gnet...
The truth is I never have disconneted from gnet, but if I had a modem today I would do it.
I used bearshare three months with a 56k (almost daily), in this three months I have uploaded 12MB...

12 MB for the price of half of my bandwidth!

Moak I think its loooooooong time ago you used a 56k...

Morgwen
Old October 18th, 2001

Moak is flying high

Morgwen, you perfectly described the dilema of gnutella!

> The truth is I never have disconneted from gnet, but if I had a modem today I would do it.
> 12 MB for the price of half of my bandwidth!

That's the way freeloader think, and actually I can understand and feel with them very well!

The problem is gnutella works only through sharing.... let me repeat: gnutella works only through sharing! Once again? When more people do only suck files (because it's faster and cheaper), less files are shared, more busy slots, gnutella will not work. Sorry. gnutella is NOT the web.... it lives from the members. So... when we wanna keep gnutella alive, we have some possibilites IMHO:

* Gnutella client developer should encourage users to be part of the network, encourage people to share and avoid freeloading options where possible. (e.g. never allow to disable uploads, at least allow a small upload ratio something similar as Xolox does).

* Gnutella client developer should think about new possibilities to make modem users a valuable part of the gnutella network. (e.g, meshing alla swarmcast = braking files into smaller parts, spread allover the network, which even modem useres can easily provide).

I have my ideas more detailed in a older german document (here), if I have more time I will translate it.

So long my friend, Moak

PS: Let me say what is NO solution against freeloader: A client developer could easily modify the clients, so that only DSL and high speed user can share with each other (by testing bandwith). Then all those whining modem users "I need to freeload and that is f*cking cool" will have no files anymore and cry loud to heaven - while all the high speed users can suck like god in highspeed heaven! So dude, do you understand what I'm trying to say: Gnutella is very friendly to modem users right now... but gnutella does not need them. Definitely gnutella should use them in future (valuable bandwith rescources are wasted right now!), see about swarming above. Grin, this should not be the future:

Last edited by Moak; October 18th, 2001 at 11:55 AM.
Old October 18th, 2001

Moak is flying high

> The truth is I never have disconneted from gnet, but if I had a modem today I would do it.

PPS: You will even hurt yourself. You couldn't resume files behind firewalls (most files according to Limewire statistics) + you couldn't find new hosts + you couldn't start new download from users behind firewalls (no PushRequest).