View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2004
Novicius

Dancin' Dave is flying high
Red face File types (to include AND to exclude)

I would like to suggest a new feature (good thing I have that ability):

When are reviewing search results and see the list of file types retrieved in the left hand window, I would like to be able to click on a type and see that type only (so far, so good), but also click on other types (or shift-click) and *add* them to the list of displayable files type. We all know that jpg and jpeg are the same, so why can't I see them both at the same time? Etc., etc., etc.

Even better (sometimes) would be a list of exclude file types. For example, if I'm running under Windoze, I probably wouldn't care about ".sit" and ".dmg" file types. Same for Mac: I most likely would have little need for ".exe", ".bin", ".bmp", etc. So I would love to edit a list of extensions that 1) when I search, it skips (and saves screen display & search time), 2) wouldn't add to the quantity returned count (which is misleading since it's not of interest to me), and 3) would allow me to focus on the desired files that I actually care about.

Even if it were pre-determined list of extensions (based on the given platform) that I could click on a check box within the search results window -- to respect or ignore the normal exclude list. (And would be set by default to respect/ignore based upon user settings within the preferences.)

Any thoughts (about this idea)?

David