Thread: CVS notes?
View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about
Default updated CVS Fri Jun 17 16-02-26

re the generated bug report, thought you might be interested to know that under low HD conditions, it did not pop up a window (but the terminal recorded the info). LW quit just fine.

--this CVS now refreshes all the Library when the refresh button is used. With only the Incomplete folder selected, that was, previously, the only Library refreshed. Actually, I miss that, but if that's the price of having the new dynamic updating of the Shared Library whenever a file is added from the Finder, that's fine by me.

--I LIKE the option to choose the download folder for individual files from the Downloads Panel. Nice!

--Glad to see the bounty for client side queuing: I hope LW'll also consider Pipes rather than slots?
I'm happily wasting so much time downloading picture collections from single hosts Most only allow me to download three pics at a time, so it's too easy to gas hours on a single collection. I wonder if "pipes" might be more efficient than "slots". I.E, once I've opened a pipe to a host, the bitstream can be maintained irrespective of the number of files that make up that bitstream. My upstream bandwidth is greatly under-utilized given the kinds of files I share, but even so I've seen a few banned greedy clients who really aren't and wish I could allow their client a "download pipe" (timed?) rather than a three file slot limit. Just wishing and dreaming

--re the gui slowdown for closing search tabs:
it looks like it is proportionate to the number of entries under that tab. Closing a browsed host tab with 8000 entries can lock up the gui for quite a while, but a tab with just a few entries closes quickly. Can the 'clearing' of entries (or whatever is going on) be deferred to the background, so the active window can respond without waiting for the clearing?

--this gui lockup also happens while waiting for a browsed host's results to show and sort for the first time. i.e, a gui lock happens while, say, 8,000 files show in the browsed host tab; another lock when I filter for Images, and then another while sorting by size. Other tabs or panes are completey unresponsive until the results are displayed several minutes later. However, uploads, connections and downloads are still progressing (seen in Activity Monitor), althought the GUI shows them frozen.

lastly, this latest CVS is just as stable here as the regular release. IMHO, it's past beta already, although I am hoping the spam filters make it to the beta first.

Cheers. btw, I noticed acqx has released a beta that sounds like it has tapped into all the countless hours Sam and Justin have done (without mentioning them specifically, of course) http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/?cat=3
No doubt many more contributors are also finding their work quietly appearing elsewhere. Well, I know congrats aren't $, but congrats and appreciation anyway