View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2005
Severance

Quote:
A filesystem error can also occur when the filename of the file to download is invalid with regard to your filesystem, e.g. a filename such as "../text.txt" exposes such an error.
Eh -- a filename with slashes? Shouldn't occur.

Anyway, it should just block out any characters that were acceptable on the source filesystem but aren't on the destination one, replacing them with something standard, perhaps a dot or a dash or an underscore automatically, instead of making you go to the bother of trying to navigate to the shared dir from My Documents only to then NOT BLOODY WORK ANYWAY. :P

Quote:
I tried reproducing your actions and had no problems navigating into the C:\Program Files\LimeWire\ folder.

Please make sure the LimeWire folder is readable and accessible and also writable in case you want to download files to it.
It is. And when I navigated there with the file chooser from My Documents, I got to Program Files, double-clicked the Limewire folder, and the following occurred -- the directory name above the file list changed to say Limewire and the file list redrew itself and returned to the upper left corner from having been scrolled some distance to the right, but it still showed the contents of the Program Files directory.

While I may have been able to save to C:\Program Files\Limewire if I'd then hit Save (depending on whether the file got saved to where the file list showed, or to the directory named above that area, which had become inconsistent with each other due to this bug), I would not have been able to save to C:\Program Files\Limewire\Shared. I could not navigate to the Shared folder to double click it, because the file list still showed the subfolders of Program Files. And I very much doubt typing "Shared" in the filename box and hitting enter would have worked. Most likely I'd have ended up with a file named "Shared" in C:\Program Files for my effort, or else a complaint that the file name was already in use ...

LOTR: I think what's happened between you and Murderous Rage is a colossal misunderstanding. I see you've edited some posts, but he was probably expecting to see a new post with anything you had to say to him. Seeing nothing new after the "system was down earlier" post would drive me nuts if I kept trying to post new stuff and nothing appeared, neither my own nor an explanation why, below the last posting in the thread. I think it would be best if you unbanned him (if you banned him in the first place) and deleted anything nasty you said about him anywhere, put his posting replying to me here in this thread where it belongs, and deleted the duplicate. And yes, investigating how the original posting got mislaid would probably be a good idea too. Obviously, there are still residual problems after the morning's downtime, and it really is not fair to blame one of the glitch's unfortunate victims, if that is indeed what has happened here. I've arrived a little late to have seen whatever messages he posted that are gone, but the original posting seems to be perfectly innocuous to me, and I doubt he had any ill intent, or indeed any intent except to see that posting appear beneath mine in this thread, and to see it stay there. There really is no reason it can't be the other copy that gets trashed, is there? Of course it's probably too late anyway -- if it were me, and I posted and everything kept disappearing, I'd give up and surf elsewhere and not come back, but there's no harm trying.