View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2002
Unregistered

Thumbs up Automation Suggestion & Offer

Great concept, and a good start on a program, but the automation brain needs to give the user more control.

Here are some suggestions:

- let the user specify a min/max/timeout number of succesful downloads per automation entry. Force the program to move to the next entry and continue downloading until it hits it's min and timesout, or hits its max and stops searching.

- allow the program to fire multiple searches at once, in theory looking for the entire list at the same time, killing entries as they reach their max/min/timeout. Or, if that's not possible, allow an option that will fire search entries on a round robin, or even a random basis. Unless I've missed something in playing with your timers, the program seems to waste a lot of time when it is searching for hard to find file, it'd be better if it just went on to another search entry.

- allow a min and max file size, or for mp3 files, a target bit rate.

- remove items from the automation list (or mark them as complete), once the program satisfies the min/max criteria.

I've loaded the automation list with about 4,000 entries and I just let it run 24/7 on a dedicated machine... kudos on it's stability... the program is very stable.

I'm sure the author will likely get to these types of improvements at some point, but I have an immediate need for a program that does what NapShare does + the modifications I have described. If I were a C coder, I'd take a stab at it, so, if anyone is interested in tweeking this code to do what I've described... name your price and maybe I'll take you up on it. Send an email to linux@trandigital.com if your interested.