View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2012

File_Girl71 has a reputation beyond reputeFile_Girl71 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow flashing moving New Trick To Make BearShare Connect To Gnutella!

I have the same problem as many users is haunted by because of BearShare is not connecting to Gnutella network no matter what I do...I know 100% my BearShare is not firewalled, so her I have to think new and figure out a better way then only change the connect.txt file in hope to finally get connected! The BearShare 5.1.0b25 has a forced Ultrapeer function to use which other BearShare versions do not have. I know when BearShare hit Ultrapeer mode it connects to the Gnutella network no matter what, and I started to think is it possible to push other BearShare versions to Ultrapeer mode and get connected to Gnutella network instead of get frustrated by never ever get connected.. I have found a very simple solution to do and kick any BearShare from 4.7.3.2 to 5.2.5.9 into Ultrapeer mode, and here is how!!!

Before you can use the Ultrapeer mode trick below, you must be sure you are not "FIREWALLED" and the "connect.txt" in db folder located by default C:\Program Files\BearShare\db is not to old. Replase it if it is... You will find a new one here if needed: BearShare Connect Fix installer

1.) If BearShare is runnig and trying to get connected and not do so, just exit BearShare so it shuts down completely...

2.) Locate the BearShare installation folder which is by default C:\Program Files\BearShare, and find this file here: FreePeers.ini

3.) Open FreePeers.ini file with any txt editor you like to use like Notepad/Notpad ++.

4.) Find this section [FirewallLogic] in the FreePeers.ini and it should look like the code below:

Code:

[FirewallLogic]
bTcpNFW = Yes ; yes if Tcp non-firewalled.
TcpIP = 10.0.0.1 ; Tcp IP.
bUdpNFW = No ; yes if Udp non-firewalled.
bUdpSolNFW = No ; yes if Udp solicited non-firewalled.
UdpIP =  ; Udp IP.
UdpPort = 6348 ; Udp port.
5.) And change this line from (No): bUdpNFW = No ; yes if Udp non-firewalled.

to (Yes): bUdpNFW = Yes ; yes if Udp non-firewalled.

And copy the Tcpip and add it to Udpip, and the changed code will look like this:

Code:

[FirewallLogic]
bTcpNFW = Yes ; yes if Tcp non-firewalled.
TcpIP = 10.0.0.1 ; Tcp IP.
bUdpNFW = Yes ; yes if Udp non-firewalled.
bUdpSolNFW = No ; yes if Udp solicited non-firewalled.
UdpIP = 10.0.0.1 ; Udp IP.
UdpPort = 6348 ; Udp port.
So move on to the next step...

6.) Find this section [HostLogic] in the FreePeers.ini and it should look like the code below:

Code:

[HostLogic]
modeAutoConnect = Yes ; Automatically establish connections
modeAccept = Yes ; Accept incoming connections
m_bEverUltrapeerCapable = No ; Has client ever been an Ultrapeer
m_everUPExpire = 0xD8822D18B315E440 ; EverUltrapeer expiration date
7.) And change this line from (No): m_bEverUltrapeerCapable = No ; Has client ever been an Ultrapeer

to (Yes): m_bEverUltrapeerCapable = Yes ; Has client ever been an Ultrapeer

And the changed code will look like this:

Code:

[HostLogic]
modeAutoConnect = Yes ; Automatically establish connections
modeAccept = Yes ; Accept incoming connections
m_bEverUltrapeerCapable = Yes ; Has client ever been an Ultrapeer
m_everUPExpire = 0xD8822D18B315E440 ; EverUltrapeer expiration date
8.) Save the changes in the FreePeers.ini file, and fire up BearShare and wait a few sec and it will Kick in to Ultrapeer mode and finally get connected...

Edit by LOTR: Also check post #13 about UP expiry date here if BearShare has not been used for a month or longer.

Last edited by File_Girl71; November 8th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.