View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2001
Novicius

SMzero is flying high
Exclamation

>You are forgetting that files can be resumed and maybe the guy only needs the last meg of the file from you

I'm not forgetting it.
When I write "a given content" I mean "any piece of any file".

The reason to set max_uploads to 1 (for low bandwidth users) can perhaps be explained better with an example:

Suppose I have a really hot file that, say ten, guys want as soon as possible.

And say that my outbound connection can upload that file in a time T (to one user).

I could allow ten uploads to those guys, who would get that file in a time 10T.

But I could allow only one outbound connection.
Then there would be a lucky guy that would get the file in a time T. At that time, there would be two servers, me and the other guy, so TWO other guys could get the file in a time 2T (T waiting and T downloading).
Then at time 2T there would be FOUR servers, and four other guys would get the file in time 3T (2T waiting and T downloading). Finally at time 3T we'll have EIGHT servers, and the last two guys
would get the file in time 4T (3T waiting, T downloading), with SIX spare servers.

I've seen that many DSL sharers allow TWO uploads.
This is anyway NOT GOOD, because then after 2T (time to complete those uploads), there are THREE
servers (the first and the two downloaders), while allowing only one upload gets FOUR at time 2T.

What I've written assumes that the download band is greater than the upload one, thus only for ADSL and 56k links. Those freaks having T1 or above will be happy with the default setup of most gnutella clients.

>For linux, go to freshmeat and get yourself a real client.

What do you mean "a real client"? gnut-0.4.xx IS IMO a REAL client, since you can see anytime what it is doing, can (obviously) resume downloads, can run as an unattended server and is open source too.