View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2001
Disciple

GreyFool is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by SMzero
>You are forgetting that files can be resumed and maybe the guy only needs the last meg of the file from you

I'm not forgetting it.
When I write "a given content" I mean "any piece of any file".

The reason to set max_uploads to 1 (for low bandwidth users) can perhaps be explained better with an example:

Suppose I have a really hot file that, say ten, guys want as soon as possible.

And say that my outbound connection can upload that file in a time T (to one user).

I could allow ten uploads to those guys, who would get that file in a time 10T.

But I could allow only one outbound connection.
Then there would be a lucky guy that would get the file in a time T. At that time, there would be two servers, me and the other guy, so TWO other guys could get the file in a time 2T (T waiting and T downloading).
But you're forgetting that not everyone is uploading with max speed from you.
Suppose the lucky guy that gets the connection is the one with the slow dial in modem who does the upload with a speed below 2k. Then the upload will be done in a time >5T and all the time you are wasting 80% of your upload bandwidth.
And what if you have more than only one really hot file and the download began with that really big one. None would be able to get one of those cute tiny little files that otherwise could be spread all over the net before that first download is finished.

Last edited by GreyFool; July 7th, 2001 at 05:06 AM.