View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2002
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Lightbulb Re: the reality

Quote:
Originally posted by pokpok
All of this back and forth between Lee and Trap is a grand showcase of your knowledge of the peer to peer system but isn't it true that Limewire just sucks?

Even optimised using the methods outlined by Lee, Limewire consistently offers "requery sent" and "waiting in line" blah blah blah.........
I think that I have offered time-an-time again in different threads that many of the problems facing p2p networking systems are not necessarily the results of the clients used to access these networks but of the behavior of the individuals participating in these networking systems.

It's the user base :

#1 People get on the network and jump off.

(24x7 sharers make up about 1% of any p2p system. These sharers have a small percentage of the files sought after on these networks.)

#2 Not enough replication of content.

(see problem #1 - there are not enough reliable sources for content on these networks.)

That's not a limewire problem. So in essence I don't agree that "LimeWire Sucks" It was an excellent p2p application. I personally no-longer use it as I have found a product that more closely suits my needs.

Try not to forget that the success of p2p system by-in-large requires the participation of a large-group of anonymous users, this make coordination and cooperation difficult.

One of the things I've done on the forums and on the p2p system I now use--I've created a content replication group. The purpose of such a group is to band together that group of hard-core file sharers to replicate content first between themselves so that high-demand files are available from a base set of sources. Next more people are invited to join in this effort. Now a much higher rate of of success is achieved from the people who are looking for files hosted by this group. The promise of p2p is also realized even if only in a small way-- the same thing is possible here.