View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2003
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Smile Good-Luck

J. Jordan, your welcome.

There are several versions of peer to peer programs for Linux and I simply assumed that because you posted in the Limewire form you were probably using the cross platform version of a Limewire.

Regarding your use of Linux, I started using Linux approximately two weeks ago and found to be very stable and modular system. Contrary to popular belief I've also been able to get a lot of the stability out of windows based platforms. So far I've been able to use my Linux systems for 80 to 85% of the things that typically do in Windows. Linux is a very good operating system but is not for everyone.

Thank you for being so kind and considerate regarding sending me e-mails--it's a rare quality. However, I openly invite people to e-mail me directly because sometimes people wish to share information about thie configurations that they may not want posted on the forum.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your quest to find a solution to your problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by jjordan
Lee, Thanks for replying.

I'm using gnutella, not Limewire. Don't know that it makes a difference.

Gnutella has a little icon in the bottom right of the screen that is lit red. When you put the cursor on it, it says that I'm behind a firewall.

I did check, and RedHat set it on medium.

You hit the nail on the head. ifconfig shows exactly what you said it would. My internal network shows 192.168..x..x

I did shut down gnutella. When that didn't have any affect, I shut down the computer, unplugged the router and modem. Didn't solve anything.

Also, from what I think you're saying, everytime my ISP changes my IP, I have to find out what it is and put that in the force IP box?

The problem with that is that I won't know when my IP changes.

Oh well, I would love to hear from anyone that has had this problem with gnutella and has solved it. I did find something on one of the forums but the answer comprised of about 20 steps of compiling this and that, with different libs, etc. Seemed like an overkill to me. Besides I don't want to have to become an auto mehcnic just so I can drive a car. I want to use Linux as a tool, something that I have used windoz for, since it came out.

Lee, I haven't emailed you privately because I don't want to impose on your time. I'll look around some more and try different things, and who knows, with all the learning I'm doing, I might just solve this problem.

Thanks