|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Connection Problems Problems getting the LimeWire program connecting to the Gnutella network.
(not about connecting to files, that is a Download/Upload Problems section issue.) Please supply system details as described in the forum rules.
Start here Suggestions to help you get connected, * try here first *, then see below (click on 'this' blue link)
Did you FORGET something BEFORE you posted? If you post in this section you MUST provide these details: System details - help us to help you (click on 'this' blue link), else do not be surprised if your posting is ignored :)
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Limewire Keeps Closing Down
Hi, I was wondering if anybody would know an answer to this problem. I have been having problems with Limewire hogging CPU (90%+) of late, but now Limewire just closes itself down 2 or 3 seconds after the splash sceen comes up.
I have removed the application and reinstalled it several times, to no avail.
I amusing XP Pro SP2 and have an ADSL connection through a 3COM router at home.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
3COM router, did you forward a port for it for LW?
Anyway, there's ways of reducing cpu use.
After opening LW, let it settle for at least 15 mins before doing anything. LW will be busy loading incompletes & shared files & simultaneously trying to connect with each one. Let it settle.
Close any windows you're not using (like turning the lights off in rooms you're not in - it saves power), eg: Connections, Monitor & Library windows. Set your downloads for Auto-clear. Delete search results that are a few hours old.
If you are running as an ultrapeer then this will use up more power. If you're not running as a UP then reduce your upload bandwidth to about 80% or less.
Don't use the Resume button on all your files. This will particularly slow down LW & possibly your computer. It may also affect LW's connection quality. The most effective way of finding sources is to manually search for them.
Personally I often turn LW on & leave it to end for itself. eg: Quik Question
Thanks for the prompt reply LOTR. Unfortunately Limewire just keeps closing down immediately after start up, so the CPU problem is a lesser worry at the moment....
Forgot to mention I have the latest Java 1.5 and have been using 4.26 Pro and upgraded to 4.4.0 today
How soon after startup does it close down? Do you have time to go to the options & change any settings. I'd suggest you set it for manual connect.
But 1st it might be an idea to delete the LW Preferences folder called .limewire (whilst LW is closed!) & found here:
Windows NT 4.0 / 2000 / XP: C:/Documents And Settings/your_username/.limewire
OR Windows 98 / ME: Your .limewire folder is in "C:\My Documents" (BUT make a note of all your LW settings 1st, b/c after you delete the LW prefs folder you'll need to reset them.)
Infact I'd suggest you run thru these checks: Fixes for Limewire
LOTR, I found the answer. It seems LimeWire doesn't like Java 1.5. I removed the latest version and went back to 1.4.2 and lo and behold it's working fine again!
Thanks for your help - I wonder if anyone else is having a problem with the latest Java release?
This is a strange thing. It's not the 1st time & won't be the last. Some people's computers prefer Java 1.5 & others prefer 1.4.2 And I've noted this as far back as about 3 months ago. I need to keep this in mind when refering to people to update their Java. I previously suggested either & gave both links.
Anyway, my Lime, recently updated, is working just fine with the previous version of Java, but I'm not sure if it will be ok from now on. Suggestions to fix this Java bug?
Did you downld using Internet Explorer 5? If so, try another browser if you have one.
If you're using Java 1.4.2 then it should be fine!
To remove Java you can use your add/remove programs control panel.
Actually I'm using IE6... Don't understand why did it said something about IE5.
I don't use another explorer either, but then it's ok if I can keep using Java 1.4.2; works pretty fine, anyway I'm downloading Lime 4.4.1 and the installer is taking about 1 hour while "please wait, installing Java" is running... The process doesn't seems to stop, but if it comes up with the same thing (couldn't find some temp file) then I'll go back to 1.4.2.
I think it's normal for the installer to take so long triying to install this new version of Java, but if at last nothing happens, then I'll work with the old one again. It's not big problem this time as I can see, while I can keep sharing files normally.
Thank you for your orientation!
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Closing Limewire down to a System Tray Icon||AvgGuyIA||New Feature Requests||5||August 26th, 2005 06:33 PM|
|Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lax/nl/java/option/java/st||jllabres||General Linux Support||6||October 17th, 2002 05:26 PM|
|Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lax/nl/java/option/java/st||jllabres||General Linux Support||2||October 13th, 2002 02:06 AM|
|an all system java version of Gnucleus would be nice||CyberBug84||Gnucleus (Windows)||1||October 23rd, 2001 09:55 PM|
|java.io.FileNotFoundException: c:\windows\phex.cfg The system cannot fine the file...||Energizer||General Discussion||1||April 25th, 2001 02:27 AM|