|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Open Discussion topics Discuss the time of day, whatever you want to. This is the hangout area. If you have LimeWire problems, post them here too.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
* WARNING: Viruses on network you should be aware of ! *
In recent months there's been a spate of virii attacking users. Yet some simple sense & precautions can help you avoid these situations.
Sections: 1. Online Scans. _ 2. What to avoid. _ 3. Other Tools to have handy. _ 4. Reports of Virus / How to elimate files that refuse to delete / Rootkits. _ 5. Specialist forums for help.
1. Keep your anti-virus program active & keep your virus definitions up-to-date. Online scans: (i) Trend Micro HouseCall (ActiveX), . . . .
(ii) Trend Micro HouseCall (Java), . . . . (iii) BitDefender Scan online ,
(iv) eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner, . . . . (v) McAfee FreeScan, . . . . (vi) RAV AntiVirus Scan online ,
(vii) Panda ActiveScan, . . . . (viii) Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Run an Online Scan of Your PC for Malicious Software. Windows Live OneCare safety scanner. (for removal of Malware.)
2. Avoid downlding exe files. And if you decide to downld zip files, be careful of their size & scan them before opening.
Ignore files less than 2 MB (2,000 KB) in size. See Arrange search results by size (click on link).
Some common trojan sizes are as found:
(a) Beware of files sized 851.7 KB, _______ (b) Most of them are 765.5kb & 399.0kb,
(c) I open the folder there are about 800+ .Rar files all at the size of 765kb, _______ (d) Beware Of This Virus!!!,
(e) Warning: Trojans And Spyware, _______ (f) Gnutella W32.Alcra.B Virus/Trojan Migration & advice!,
(g) unwanted downloads Mass of zipped files,
(h) growing number of ZIP files all the same size & VIRUS's & ANTI-VIRUS programs
(i) viruses, spyware, and other nasties (precautions to take & free AV programs)
(j) Follow steps here & choose your alternative help site. Steps to take are detailed!, __ (k) The easy fix for Limewire popping up every few seconds (try this first), _____ (l) To fix when limewire keeps popping up / no taskmanager bug do the following, ______ (m) Limewire Acting Wierd (PLEASE HELP!!!) - Has easy to do instructions & answer too,
(n) Music files changing from mp3 into zip-exe: some info; Caused by a worm.
(o) Trojan posing as an Audio file - the trojan's official name may have different names such as "Trojan.Downloader.WMA.Wimad.N" or downloader.wimad.n - These files pose as normal mp3 files but will not play.
(p) Download Problems Tips, more file types & playback messages to be wary of!
BEWARE Files below 2,000 KB (= 2 MB) in size AND the following file sizes listed here: (i) Virus Thread - Some spam file sizes examples (click on blue link) & also see (ii) Beware of Fake files in search results (click on blue link); __ Vote 'Against' politicians who support these virus spamming companies!
3. Other tools to have handy: _______ (Remember many Anti-Virus (AV) companies are slow to update on virus definitions (some as long as a year, some never), & some have a different or slightly different name to their definition of the virus.)
A: Ad-Aware __(FREE)
B: Spybot - Search & Destroy __(FREE)
C: Peerguardian __ Rescinded advice to use. We do not especially recommend this program. It unneedingly blocks forums such as this one. They add ip addresses & do not recheck them since most spammers use dynamic addresses. PG support is woeful, & insulting. Does not run on intel macs. Will weigh your windows system down. Use at your own risk.
D: Malicious Software Removal Tool for removal of Malware. Malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
E: http://www.superantispyware.com/ __ (Free / Pro versions)
F: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ __ (Free / Pro)
G: And more alternatives (all free)
4. Known Reports of Virii & their FX:
(a) Known Peer To Peer Worm (copying itself to the startup folder), (b) LimeWire continually Popping up every few seconds & also Opening at System Startup, (c) How to get limewire to quit popping up every few seconds This is malware has been identified as Sdbot.worm.gen, Worm.Win32.VB.an, the "AN Worm", sometimes called the "Zodiak Worm", (d) I exit the limewire program, it refuses to stay shut down and will restart its self on it own. The virus is known as w32.Acan, (e) WORM_VB.AS, (f) Files downloaded contain W32 virus or the like
Other known names for these virii (different AV companies may have their own names for the same virus):
worm_bagle.AH, TROJ_INOR.A, TROJ_GLITCH.B, TROJ_SMALL.LI, WORM_CYDOG.B <- Forum posting about worm -> WORM.BAGLE.AH Aliases: W32/Bagle.ai@MM, Win32/BAgle.AI@mm, I-Worm.Bagle.ai, Win32/Bagle.Variant.Worm, Win32:Beagle-AH, Worm/Bagle.AI, W32.beagle.AG.mm, Bagle.AI, W32/Bagle-AH, Bagle.AE <- trendmicro search page, VName=WORM_BAGLE.AH&VSect=T -> Forum posting
Trojan.ByteVerify - Symantec.com
Trojan.ByteVerify, Exploit-ByteVerify [McAfee], Exploit.Java.Bytverify [KAV], JAVA_BYTVERIFY.A [Trend]
Some of the items carrying these virii were like this: -> ??? ****** Crack, ??? Source Code, ??? Beta
* Obviously virii can have variants so always play it safe. And use some common sense when downlding files. Check the file size & if it's obviously much smaller than what it should be. Most legitimate files are larger than 1 MB (1,000 KB), so don't get confused. See Arrange search results by size (click on link) Be very wary or & better to leave it alone. Remember: take precautions.
(g) How to eliminate files that refuse to delete: Incomplete Download File won't delete at all (click link)
(h) Music files changing to zip or exe: some info
(i) Rootkits *** WARNING ***, - (ii) What does a rootkit look like? (iii) Rootkit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(j) What you should know about WMA Files
5. And even more help? Follow steps here & choose your alternative help site. Go to: # 2. Visit a spyware removal forum (click link) Those sites will help you combat & eradicate the virus. Register & follow their directions for posting very carefully. Also try out some of the online scans in point #1. above.)
* Careful: Some anti-spyware programs such as PestPatrol / CA Anti-Spyware are Anti-P2P software and will either remove or damage the p2p sharing program despite the p2p program containing no spyware.
PestPatrol is used in AOL Spyware Protection, Comcast Anti-Spyware & Yahoo AntiSpy - yahoo.com
* Both Micro$oft & Adobe products contain SPYWARE. So beware! They watch your every move, track your ip movements. Block them where possible! The GREED of corporations to pay their shareholders & 15 million US dollars each a year managers. Adobe ruined Flash, totally corrupted it after they took over the Macromedia company screwing their normal approach. They also stole TIFF format, hid development on it for years whilst they developed PSD format. Now their incompetence & greed comes directly to your computer spying on you with any adobe product such as flash player, or anything they blackmailed other companies into selling to them. Adobe wants a total dogma of ownership over graphics & will shoot to kill in their approach; blackmailing, stealing, threatening. Do not support such an aggressive, nasty corporation who do not care about individuals. Look to the free comparative programs under the free licences.
M$'s support is hopeless! Has been for at least past dozen years, which suggests it's always been an empty hole of pretense. Nagging you with their software to update to hopeless buggy versions. Ignore them is the best advice. In the same way their support ignores you as an individual. They are so so arrogant!
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; December 14th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion-topics/41432-warning-viruses-network-you-should-aware.html
|Slyck.com • View topic - LimeWire Launcher Error||This thread||Refback||February 23rd, 2013 07:56 AM|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|limewire 4.9 When Downloaded Off Gnutella Network - caution - VIRUS WARNING !||lassie||Chat - Open Topics - The Lounge||1||June 28th, 2005 10:30 AM|
|how can i send viruses into gnucleus which will shut this whole p2p sharing network ?||xterminator890i||Gnucleus (Windows)||3||July 27th, 2004 07:44 PM|
|WARNING Do not use WMV format, convert help prevent network spam||Uncle101||Tips & Tricks||0||February 4th, 2004 05:05 AM|
|Warning to developers, network flooding 10-21-03||Anymouse||General Gnutella Development Discussion||1||October 22nd, 2003 03:30 AM|