View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2001
Unregistered

Default no probs here...but

I've been running Gnucleus on a couple of older machines under WI*** OSR (a 386dx33 and a 486dx-2/66)

no problems with MFC42 crashing however I've noticed a few things - Gnucleus seems to "aggressively" open new sockets (default settings) and this leads to freezing *under SOCKSCap* due to the many unreachable attempts (which SOCKSCap has poor handling of/has to timeout for)

My firewall reports unauthorized attempts for DNS, IRC and Ident (in) - this is with all chat functions/autoupgrade turned off/disabled...

We run tight security here so this seems "sloppy" to me - every possible outgoing attempt should be clearly spelled out & under control (from with the program) - only the firewall keeps it in line..

Under SOCKSCap this is problematic - the DNS requests are not handled properly under the SOCKS 4 server we run here.. I have tunneled to a public SOCKS 5 server though.

It runs a bit sluggish on the '386 (of course) but overall I really like Gnucleus - tons of features I can use plus seems stable and reliable (I've only been using it for a few days)

We run it here machine to machine., it also works well with the original Gnutella (V.56)

MFC seems pretty good (better than VB or especially java) - other things like wordpad use MFC and works fine - pretty fast on slower machines too.. We've been using Gnutella all this time - looks like Gnucleus is going to replace it - also makes a fine "reflector" for the other Gnutella's - filtering out the search crap and allowing them to find results...