View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2004
Apprentice

danap is flying high
Lightbulb Solution if not using the WinXP Firewall

Hello,

If you are a LimeWire user who is being bombarded with these "solutions" about the WinXP Firewall, yet you don't even have it enabled, here's my solution:

(Keep in mind this is for running all other firewalls aside from the WinXP Firewall. If running the WinXP firewall, go back to the sticky'd post about it because that works too.)

1. Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp and download the latest version of JAVA and install it, your firewall will ask for permission for all the JAVA installation components so allow them all.
2. Manually start JAVA (because I've noticed that Limewire won't) by going to: Start->All Programs->Java Web Start->Java Web Start ... At this point, your firewall will ask you for permission to allow javaws.exe and javaw.exe, allow both plus any other popups that are opened.
3. Now start LimeWire and leave it running for about 10 minutes, then use it. This will allow you to develop a better connection.

Everytime you restart your computer or close the Java Console, repeat step 2.

This worked perfectly for me and now I am operating at "Excellent" when before I had "Connecting..." all the time.

Hope this helps...

Dan