View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2004
Disciple

iwasscammed is flying high

I was scammed from http://www.limewiresoftware.com/ .. I am no stranger to the internet and I work in the IT industry.

For anyone that think's it's all the naive and non tech people out there who has been scammed well this is not the case.

It okay looking back and seeing all the tell tale signs - the first has to be their logo which has been compressed as a jpg instead of a gif.

I got caught out simply because I was told of limewire by a freind and he suggested getting the registered version. I guess I done a global search and seen limewiresoftware so of course I registered my details with a simple click - although carelessly. It's only if you are aware of the whole scam that's networked around file sharing then you'd probably be on guard but in this case it was definately deception by what I'd consider a "spoofed" site.

It also claims that it's ad free and spyware free yet in another description on the site they mention it HAS got spyware in it. The intention obviously is to con people by thinking "no adware, yup that's the correct version of software I want to purchase".

They then send you details of what you have just purchased, which is basically.... wait for it..... a page on the internet! Yep, this is what you get for 30 USD.... http://www.limewiresoftware.com/succ.htm ... oh remember and bookmark it!

What really annoys me is I don't pay for a product specifically for use of the program. In this case I feel it's a donation to support developers of the community as a whole.

I quickly found out how these people operate and it's mainly being diverted through mis-spellings. That's how search engines and awareness are not effective at alerting people when they search. I thought the person who recommended limewire was saying linewire so I guess I searched that and thats how I ended up with this fu**krs page.

I see other sites people have mentioned and they are more careful and actually have clear intepretations of what your paying for. In the instance of limewiresoftware, can that be considered as a fraudulant site giving various reasons as to me it clearly intended to decieve. If this IS actually legal and within the boundries of what standards we have then I guess there's no point - otherwise I will challenge the transaction.