View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2001
Unregistered

Default to me phoning home is *any* bare connection

> Gnucleus phoning home?

hmmm well I have a stricter defination of what "phoning home" means than most people I guess - that connection to only check gnucleus.net reveals my true IP in the server's log...

That violates our security - all of our traffic goes through public anon proxies - I even block DNS lookups from "rouge" apps.. ( that is any app that doesn't *need* DNS service - Gnucleus uses IP's so obviously it doesn't )

Stealth and 100 % anon connections are part of our security and this IP appearing in any server log breaches that concept.

Gnucleus's DNS calls are seen as unauthorized traffic as are any IRC attempts - my mIRC client runs to a SOCKS'ified proxy chainer (HTTPort) which places two anon proxies between me & the IRC server(s), rendering me double anon to IRC yet able to access servers which don't allow proxies (SOCKS, wingate or even "normal" HTTP ones which some IRC networks check for too)

So because I allow Gnucleus to run "naked" - direct with no proxy (to make it easyer to connect to various Gnutella net users and allow me to serve other people behind firewalls - I don't *have* to be - I have a choice) other traffic (DNS/HTTP/IRC) is blocked. The only way I will allow Gnucleus to do DNS, "evolve", or IRC is by SOCKS 5 proxy or better (chained)...

I also see many - MANY attempts from other Gnutella users to NetBIOS right after connecting to them normally (port 6346-7) I permanently BLOCK said IP's considering them hack attempts.

I believe these are not Gnutella users at all but hackers looking for victims under the disquise of Gnutella. (mostly - some are just other fool's NetBIOS wide open - in any case it cannot be allowed)

That having been clarified I ran Gnucleus all last night and part of today and am very happy with it. With only 8.mb RAM I did see an "out of memory" error a few times - this occured while trying a large number of other hosts (too many sockets being opened too fast chewing up physical memory before they could clear ?)

I reduced the host hopping and ran for several hours without *any* memory errors

I did notice an apparent bug however - I run a 33.6 modem, but at times Gnucleus reported speeds of over 100.kbps ! (while transfering non-compressible MP3's) I've seen such speeds when transfering test text files (blank pages of just spaces) but this cannot be accurate for MP3's...

Not a big deal but thought I should mention it.

The re-try every __ seconds seems to work for me - I saw the default 30 sec working and also upped it to every 60. sec - maybe it's only *less* than 30.sec that doesn't work ?

The search data rate in and especially out is really refreshing - under 10.kbps in and only a trickle out (usually - although I've seen it peak at times depending on host to near full BW, 3.4kbps - I drop such hosts)

The search results are really nice - up to 20 X better than Napster, I look for rare hard-to-find songs and Gnucleus works *better* than Napster ever did (even when server hopping)

I did a search for "dr demento" and got over 2000 results !

Very nice

Resume seems to work fine - I have to resume nearly all my D/L's (due to my free ISP kicking me every 40.min)
Gnucleus works far better than the original Gnutella (v.56) because when I re-dial it picks up where it left off (due to the timed re-tries - very nice, I can queue up some D/L's and forget it ! ) Gnutella required "babysitting"

Showing what songs people want is also very nice - I can cull my offerings to provide the most wanted songs (would like to be able to copy & paste this data though)

Multi-host, same song auto mixing re-try, is also very nice - it allows you to get the rest of the song from any other available host with no hassles and clicking on extended info shows them all..

Usually these features are reserved to hated java clients and MFC runs pretty decent even on the slowest of machines - this report is it's performance on a *386DX33* (not even considered machine enough to run windoze although it's really RAM and not CPU that's the issue there)

Gnucleus is the best Gnutella servant I've ever used.

Gnotella has become too bloated and java just sits there thrashing the HD...