View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high

Zeroshadow,

What client are you using to do the tests? I ask because I know some seem to "seek out there own kind" on the g-net (cough*bearshare*cough). Whether this is intentional or by an accident of protocol may be an open question, but the end result is they cluster together which can easily skew any results. After all, in order download, you must first search, and your more likely to get results from nearby peers. A better test would be for some of the centrally located reflectors to monitor the traffic. Most search results do now include extra client info with them.

This being said, I'd still fully expect BearShare to be in the lead simply because of how much it's promoted. Still, as anyone who's looked at the top 40 recently could tell you, popularity != quality. Anyone remember how long it took to get people to stop using the original Gnutella even though it was completely abandoned and even hurting the network? It takes a great deal of time and effort to change the public mindshare.

Actually I'm suddenly seeing a lot of SwapNut myself. Anyone know where their site is?