View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2004
Sparkey

Default Download/Upload Problems

I recently got OptOnline Cable as an ISP. Wow the speed is incredible. My downloads with LW have been only a matter of minutes, with all my files coming in with no errors for the first week. Over 2,000 mp3's and files totaling more than 20 gb. A few files contained viruses, but I was smart enough to check before opening and deleted those. Until I started sharing my music files. Then my troubles began. At first it was ok, users uploading from my system were getting over 100kbs speeds. Then a day later I noticed none of the users were able to get files. I thought it was LW, watching users in my monitor as upload file after file which read interupted. I thought it was a firewall problem. I verified I had port availability but still too many interuptions or no connections for users. Then a few days later my internet speed slowed down drastically to a modem speed. I called OptOnline and was told they were aware of my problem right away and that a rep would call me. He called & explained that my service was throttled down (limited) because of my excessive uploading which is considered being a server and not allowed on their cable lines. Their computers automatically killed uploads coming from my system to help regulate the traffic on the community of cable user to which I share this line with. I was told that I must stop the uploading or my service will again be limited automatically by their computers. but I could download to my hearts desire. I am sorry I want to share but I cannot. Thank you to all you nice users who can upload those wonderful file that I get.