View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2004
Zetch

Default Spamming on limewire

Everyone should be careful of certain files, especially wmv, mpeg, or mov files that are 106.7 KB It is one of two major problems that limewire has yet to solve. This problem is people have set up a program in their own computers (most with a T3 or higher connection) that monitors incoming searches (you can manually monitor incoming searches by clicking on the monitor tab) and the program instantly creates a filename to match your search criteria and the file that is attached is an advertisement of one of the filetypes listed above and of the size 106.7 KB. So when you choose to download one of these 106.7 KB files, you are getting a customized version of an advertisement that has nothing to do with the file you were looking for. As limewire users we need to do our part to fix this before these advertisers learn how to write programs that vary the file size on these advertisements. Right now that is one of the only ways we have to distinguish these bad files from the rest.

The other problem is of course, the corrupt mp3 files from T3 connections. Please do not download any sound files from a T3 user. It is simply too dangerous at the moment. There have been people that have downloaded harmful viruses by trying this. Other times the files do nothing at all and you have just wasted your time.

A lot of rumors were going around that you can fix this by doing a block host on the T3 user. Not true. I'm thinking that when you block a host, that it only blocks their ability to send you chat messages....I think I read that in a tip of the day. So please don't anyone be too reliant on that to filter out junk until you check it out for sure.

Not to mention the fact that I have tried blocking the 106.7 wmv carriers and actually kept track of their IP's to see if they came back up in the next search, after the block host, and they still did. I'm thinking there is a false sense of security with this feature and that limewire really should do a block host that actually blocks them from participating in your search.

About all anyone can do is keep asking limewire through this for some changes to protect us from these corrupt and sometimes damaging files.