View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2004
Novicius

fry76 is flying high
Question Server-based multi-user file-sharing client

Hi everyone.

I've been looking for an implementation of a file-sharing application that can be run on a central server and accessed by clients (In my case, the clients are the machines inside a LAN). I'd like all peer-to-peer connections, searches and downloading to be executed by the server machine on behalf of the clients requesting it. To the client, it appears as though they're the only ones using the application - they have no knowledge of what other users are searching or downloading.

The closest I can find is Shareaza's remote control function, however, I'd need to run a separate instance of Shareaza for each user, and it's also limited to Windows. The main disadvantage of this is that each instance of Shareaza would try to make its own connections instead of the one program maintaining it all.

Preferably, I'd like a Linux console application (that can be run as a daemon). A web-interface would be super, but not a necessity.

Basically, it's a multi-user environment (Requiring a user to login (LDAP authentication would be absolutely beautiful), or based on IP, etc) with a light-weight client similar to Hagelslag.

So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks a lot.