View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2004
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default How To Avoid Fake Movies

I came across this whilst doing a movie search just as an experiment. I thought I might post it here though I'm not sure what to make of it. It's supplied here as I found it (except for the size change.) Comments from mods & members welcome! Although I disagree with part of it. Some apps such as VLC can play partial movies.

There are now a lot of 'fake' or wrongly named movies in circulation, also some deliberately corrupt files.

If you are aware of this, it's very simple to make sure you don't waste your time and bandwith downloading the wrong file.

1: As soon as you try to start the download and the file is in your queue (whether it's actually downloading or not), right-click it and select
'Search for Alternates'

Look at the filenames that the search produces.

If they are mostly the same as the file you want, then it's probably OK.

If they are mostly different - other film titles, not just format variations, then the file you are downloading has probably been re-named.

2: As soon as you have the first few megabytes of the movie (5 - 10MB), play it and check the title!

Normal programs (such as MS Media Player) cannot play incomplete .AVI files, as there is an index block at the end of the file.

Get 'VirtualDub' (at virtualdub.com) - this is a small, neat (and free) Video Editor program,
which will load and play partial .AVI files.

Just copy the partially downloaded movie file. Click ones on the incomplete file so it's highlighted then use "Ctrl C" then "Ctrl V" and you will have a usuable copy, then run VirtualDub, load the file and press the play button.

- Don't try and play the file while it is actually downloading! This either won't work, or may mess up the download. Copy it first - you can copy it while it's downloading, and play the copy.

Good luck....

(This file was made by ?somebody?, and was updated by SC. thanx to ?somebody?)
please share this file to reduce renameing films