Thread: Hiding user IPs
View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2004
lazy dragon - retired mod

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Robotic Mindframe
However, the actual presence of IP provides the stimulus that allows individuals to be detected.
Yes this is true.

Quote:
Without knowing which individuals downloaded, would there ever be such stimulus to investigate?
Good question I am not working for the RIAA and I am no lawyer.

Quote:
Could a legal body approach for instance Limwire and force them to produce blanket details of all users? and their UL/ DL habits?
No, this isnīt possible. Limewire has no records about what you or an other person is downloading. After you connected to Gnutella you are connected to people like you and me from where you download/upload the files. Perhaps you should read a few articles about how P2P works to understand more.

Quote:
Am I to believe that is beyond the abilities of those who have created these programmes to protect the identities of those using their systems.
The problem is that Limwewire is open source, EVERYBODY can view the code and see which protection Limewire uses and a protection which is known isnīt existent. Such a protection would only work with closed source clients... as I said the best way is to search the net for a private solution.

Quote:
In a perverse way, the best users, the ones who share the most, are put most at risk by the issues raised. Curtailing the problem would surely benefit all as safer systems would entice more people to file share and encourage current users to share more.
I recently had a discussion with one of the developers about freeloaders... my opinion they donīt care if the people share or not as long they buy the product Limewire. Its possible to disable sharing with Limewire you just need a few clicks for it. They wouldnīt offer such features if they would really care if the people share or not. The pervers thing which I also said to this developer is that if nobody shares nobody would buy Limewire and they wouldnīt have a job... he never replied to this statement.

Quote:
Not being able to continually tack the file shairng activities of an individual, how could anybody ever investigate the activities of this person??
Yes it wouldnīt be possible.

Morgwen

Last edited by Morgwen; November 23rd, 2004 at 07:26 AM.