View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2004
The Soulforged

murasame is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

massillonmarine, unfortunatelly, there's nothing much you can do aside from re-naming your own files "right" (= with the exact title, without adding stuff like: "plz share" and other crap of the sort). The reason for that is that the files are not provided by Limewire itself.
It's like TV: there are several channels and you can watch any show those channels air at this and that time. However, it's not the TV (=the machine) itself that contains the shows, but the channels who "send" the shows to it.
In this (pathetic) example, the TV is the program (Limewire) and the channel companies are the users all over the world: you can see (=download) whatever shows (=files) they offer.
Coming back to the problem at hand, the consequence of all this crap below is that if 100 users share the same file, all of them would have to rename that file to the correct "title" so that all of the copies of the files that appear in your searches are correctly named.

Confused?

Hmm.

Let's say that you see a file named X.

Good.

You download the file X from the 100 available sources and discover that its true name is actually Z.

Cool.

You rename the file to Z.

Consequence: if I search for file Z, I will see one copy of that file (that you have) and if I search for X, 99 copies will pop-up.

In other words, for all Z files to show up as Z in my search, all the people that have that file have to rename it to Z.

Now, you can start by renaming your own file and sharing that.
You can also try (very very troublesome) chatting with everyone that shares the file X and asking them to rename it to Z...
ADSL anything from 3 to 8Mbps/around 1024kbps

"Raise your can of Beer on high
And seal your fate forever
Our best years have passed us by
The Golden Age Of Leather"
-Blue Öyster Cult-

Last edited by murasame; November 24th, 2004 at 09:46 AM.