View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2001
Darklord Darklord is offline
Join Date: September 20th, 2001
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 6
Darklord is flying high
Thumbs down Dissapointed... A lot...

Well, hello everybody... I had posted another message asking for help about a specific bug that nobody seemed to know... Well, anyways, let`s see what are my main thoughts as of this time with the hottest new gnutella client we all love...(?) XoloX

a) It is can find stuff fast but IT IS NOT (and I mean this) as fast as Morpheus/Kazaa. They are the fastest P2P solution at the moment. At least in Greece, where I work, and from inside a LAN. Yeah, the configuration of both of them (XoloX & Kazaa) is right, as is the configuration of my system. Still, it pretty... sucks (!) compared to them (sorry XoloX team). With XoloX I reached 30-40k`s at max, while with Morpheus I topped at 117k`s. It`s a pretty easilly spotted difference, don`t you think?

b) The members of the XoloX team themselves don`t quite support enthusiastically their project. There is no info, no documentation and most users have to rely on these boards to find answers to their problems. It`s pretty understandable that as a new piece of software it might have bugs, and we can cope with them. But I did ask for "what the hell does `filestream error --> 1` mean", and from what I saw I was not the only one. I got no answers...

c) The greatness of XoloX wears off after it manages to download the files. When I first installed it I was blown away, it was easy, speedy (well, not as Morpheus but I preffered it as it was more "underground" stuff!) and seemed to work. Thus, I selected 15-20 (BIG) files and let them downloading. The next day I found that none of them had come to my disk, while Morpheus (working at the same time) had brought me about 1,7 Gigs. The day after that 4 of the files in XoloX had reached 99% and where never to be resumed again. Two weeks now I have lost about 7 Gigs off my drive, `cause XoloX keeps them taken up by partial files that never comes to resume. Ah, I hear you say, they might not be available... Well, THEY ARE. I restarted a download of a file I had in my que and it pretty much started downloading at 27K`s. Again the same. At about 75% the download stucked. Now, what?

These are my main thoughts about the awesome XoloX, that never came to do quite what it claimed to do (...for me). The weird thing is that I`m not the only one with these problems. I gave the program to a lot (...A...LOT) of people that I know, on different connections, speeds, hardware and they all had basically the same problems, with the biggest being that the downloads pretty much stay stuck after 80% and need from 2 days to 2 weeks to complete (if they ever do). I don`t know about you, but if some problems like these are not corrected I don`t think I`ll be using XoloX... Don`t get me wrong, I don`t mean to sound as I probbably do, but the internet is evolving, new technologies and programs appear practically from nowhere, and at the moment I have two choices: XoloX and Morpheus. To put it simply, the one works (and does wonders), the other doesn`t. Guess witch one I`ll use more...