View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2004
johnstuart

Smile Don't feel bad

I have been in the music business for 24 years and are well versed with the internet. Don't feel bad that you got scammed because I did as well.

File sharing of music is illegal. Take for example Kaaza. They are still in court trying to resolve issues. Record companies and the DOJ are sill busting people for sharing music.

Knowing this, and being a Kaaza and former Napster user for years, I searched the internet for P2P's that appeared "legal". That means they collect a fee that you believe they are going to pay ASCAP and BMI as music royalities. The site you signed up at as well as me led to you believe that the fees were paid and everything was legal. But we were taken. I did not realize till much later that Limewire is really no different than Kaaza regarding P2P. That you could download the program for free. I am as disappointed as you are becuae I need to be able to download a lot of songs for a radio station, and thinking I was doing the right thing got burned. It appears that the only real way to legally download is to pay for songs individually. Usually $1.00 a piece.