View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2001
Unregistered

Exclamation Gnucleus kills my internet

The following refers to XoloX, but I have the same problem wih Gnucleus. I post the folliwng on the XoloX forum and someone suggested I try another Gnutella app to see if it casues the same problem. Anyway, I ran Gnucleus for a few hours and the same thing happened, so it may be a problem with all Gnutella clients?

XoloX casues a serious dial up networking probems on my PC running Windows 98 SE, and using a modem. More often than not if I leave XoloX running for a number of hours, my internet connection "dies".

Let me explain:

Sometimes, my PC will remain connected to the net, but my internet connection will by unusable - I can't send or receive any data, not only with XoloX, but with any internet software. If I disconnect from the net, I am able to reconnect and log on as normal, but I still have the same problem. The same applies if I try this a few more times.

Sometimes I have the same problem as above with the only difference being that I actually get disconnected when it occurs.

The only way in which I can restore my intenet access when this problem occurs, is to shut down my computer, and then power up and restart Windows.

NOTE: This is NOT a problem with my ISP but something casued by XoloX, it only ever happens when runnig XoloX.

I have expreienced this problem before on rare occasions before using XoloX/Gnucleus, it was caused by a download manager, maybe FlashGet/JetCar.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.