View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2005
Novicius

versius is flying high
Default Running on a server

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to use a server to share files on peer to peer networks. I run a website that will allow small bands all over the world to receive a free website, with music downloads and information on how to get "found." I do not charge for any services and will rely totally on a small amount of affiliate marketing to cover the costs of the service. Honestly, I expect to lose money; my reasoning is purely a love for music and seeing the new bands out there. The reason I include all these details is that I want everyone to understand that the content that I will be sharing is 100% legal (the band will have to fax me a signed statement giving me the right to share it on the networks) and so that people understand that I don't have a lot of cash to invest in getting this to work.

I would prefer to be able to run some sort of fairly simple program/script that would allow me to share these files. I do not require, but would prefer, to have some way to download a few files as well (directly to the server).

I already do a few bit torrents using a separate internet connection and a spare computer, but would like to get this to work.

I have hosting packages on freebsd and redhat servers. I would also consider a dedicated server if I have to.

I keep thinking that there is likely to be something that someone has that makes all of this possible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Please feel free to ICQ me. 143375