View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2001
Unregistered

Red face Slow/No files while on Campus, and a solution

Many of you have noticed that servers seem to not connect, or are very slow now. I can tell most college students why their connection may seem to have gone to hell.
There is a new technology out that allows Colleges to limit, or ban, file-specific internet traffic. Like all files from Morpheus and Kazaa have the same tag on them, which is Kazaa. With a simple box in their office, colleges can now say yes or no to ANY file sharing tool that uses the internet.
The key there is that they can only limit the outside internet. Many of us go to school with 10,000+ students. I just set up an Edonkey server that never left campus. It worked (500k/s from multiple people at once) until someone ratted on me. Then, my server was shut down.
A solution that would allow college students to get almost unlimited access to any MP3, or many movies, would be a program that connects, and serves, like Node technology, to a given address. With it, students could connect almost to the whole campus, and no one could shut down just one computer.
If anyone knows of such a program, please let us know. It would help almost all college students.