View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2001
Kukuman

Thumbs down Why I don't like XoloX

Too many positive reviews, have to add a negative one...keep in mind this is MY opinion and I am not trying to force my opinion on anyone. If you like this program and it works well for you, cool. Maybe some of you can relate to some of these problems.

1. I can't download anything! I searched for an anime series that is somewhat popular, found the file I wanted, clicked on it, and then.......nothing. The download never even started. Sometimes I can't even find the file I want at all. I guess it's luck of the draw, and I am unlucky.

2. Upload bandwidth usage is too high. I have a 768/128 ADSL line, so even a small amount of upload traffic impairs the connection. I monitored my bandwidth usage in DU Meter, and after connecting to Gnutella, the upload bandwidth skyrocketed. I realize that this is partially due to the inefficiency of the Gnutella protocol, but in Bearshare and LimeWire my bandwidth usage is usually rather low, because I can control my connections, which brings me to the next problem...

3. Not enough control. I would really like to control how many nodes I connect to. I only have 128k upload, so I can only have about 6 at best. I don't know how many XoloX uses but judging from the upload usage it must be pretty high. I realize that most people are idiots and when confronted with options that hint at a small degree of complexity, they turn off. So, there should be an Advanced Mode option, for people like me who know what they are doing.

Again, don't take this as an attack on you or the program. I'm just stating why I don't like it, and perhaps some of you can relate to it, or add comments to it.