View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Norton Personal Firewall

Dear Aussie86

I use Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and, coincidentally, a Speedtouch external (330 UK model) modem. And I found that whenever I turned on my PC I would get intrusion alerts from my own default windows IP address.

After an incident, where my son had downloaded something that had disabled my firewall, I checked out the Symantec website for help. Symantec advised that I delete the firewall, using control panel's Add/Remove facility, I kept the firewall's settings during deletion, and then do a reinstall, which I did.

I found that after reinstallation the "start up alerts" stopped and all my installed "rules" worked better. It seems that NPF can get "confused" by all the configuration settings it's asked to perform.

The deletion process cleared up this "confusion/small corruption" problem and set everything straight and pristine again.

Although I have not used NIS 2005, I have a copy and intend to install it when my current subscription runs out, I believe some "small corruptions" have crept into your product. And, possibly, deletion and reinstallation will clear this, but remember to keep your firewall settings.

UK Bob

Last edited by ukbobboy01; January 26th, 2005 at 04:25 AM.