View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2005
FrostWire Developer

ultracross is flying high
Default More features to add.

Like to see some of the following:

1. A way to 'temporarily' unshare the root shared folder OR only a sub folder inside it. but also keeping the option to unshare folders permently, taking them out of the library via the library click-menu.

2. A centralized (or distributed with the use of the DNS Round-Robin technique) Gnutella Search Engine Web Service that is connected to the gnutella network so that a user can perform web-based searching with a browser and links to files that will appear downloadable through a magnet link, limewire will autimatically take care of the download because of the magnet url. (maybe magnetmix.com could handle this? it is owned by limewire right?) that would be frikon awesome if such a thing existed, then you could search through their gnutella connections that might be out of my own network horizon and find what you want. This is a big MUST. It wouldnt make the gnutella network centralized, it would just connect to it and provide magnet urls. maybe even integrating a small tabbed window that loads the page inside limewire and you can perform searches there if you cannot find what you want in your horizon.

3. Ability to browse folders of another users shared content when using the 'browse host' feature.

4. The Monitor 'show' button should be remebered between launches.

5. Limewire should remember the positions of internal window split bars.

6. Just a little nag, the spinning lime should be better graphically designed. i like the image, but the quality is very poor.

7. The 'Whats New' search should have the ability to search whats new on the network after limewire starts up.... maybe an option should be setup in the options window for this.

8. GET RID OF: sharing incomplete files. i hate it when people share there incomplete files and it fills up the search window full of unwanted crap.

9. It would be nice to see if Limewire embeded CDDB into their software, making it the first p2p program that will actually correct, help and improve the search results and content filter. Making this an optional component would be AWESOME!

http://www.gracenote.com/gn_products/cddb.html

10. Chat: The use of nicknames instead of IP addresses. That wouldnt seem to hard to do. A buddy system would also be rather awesome.

11. Better media-player. One that is seekable. Dont care about being able to view video content, only audio content.

12. A fast meta-tag generator with the ability to change/edit meta data on-the-fly.

13. Little itch: Renaming Enqueue to Add To Play List

14. Add Ability to rip/encode media to mp3 or other widely used format. Maybe even add the ability to detect if a media CD is inserted and asking the user if they want to rip and share this content?

15. Asking the user if they really want to rename a file before renaming it.

16. Maybe torrent support and sharing it on the GnuNet.

17. Better Corruption detection. I get too many files that have been pumped into the GnuNet from the RIAA and MPAA. LEAVE US ALONE! Also, I dont know exactly how the hash file works, but i know what its supposed to do. This should be uploaded FIRST, not last, some clients upload it last and THEN limewire detects the corruption. I have noticed this more than a few times.

18. Improvement on the play list. giving it more options. I would use limewire as my media player if it was MUCH improved, maybe even a whole redesign of it needs to be done. But for now, it is just used to preview files before adding it to my play list on my REAL media player.

19. Searching should have optional boolean checking: AND OR XOR NOT NAND NOR XNOR etc, thats all the ones i can think of. This should be an extended search option.

20. Alot of the interface needs to be improved.

21. Making limewires total used memory ALOT lower, if i keep it running for like a day, its already using 140,000+ K of memory. I think there maybe a memory leak somewhere?

22. SUPPORT THE GNUTELLA2 PROTOCOL!

23. Version/Client Banning. This could prevent inferior clients (or bad actors) from screwing up the network.

24. Some sort of security mechinism that is VERY HARD to break should be implemented: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gdf/message/9123

please post your thought or comments.

Last edited by ultracross; February 8th, 2005 at 12:17 AM.