View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2001
Panthera Onca

The Seeker is flying high
Default Re: New User Queries continued

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisp

After I installed the other day I didn't have that file on my system even after using xolox a couple of times. From the replies I get the impression I have is that it's a cache type file but what starts it off and does xolox use it to improve connecting?
Yes, The only files created by the setup are xolox.exe, uninstall.exe, and uninstall.ini. XoloX itself creates:

resumeinfo.txt Used for storing where each segment goes in the file you are downloading, the search terms used to find the file, the number of dropped (bad) segments encountered, and the cached hosts that have claimed to have the file and are downloading, busy, or haven't been tried yet.

templist.txt Your shared file list index. Contains path [-ROOT], file name [-FILE], file size [-FILESIZE], file handle [-handle], CRC [-CRC](currently unused, and set to 0), and [END] ? (last disk sector of file?)

and finally, hostslist.txt Contains an obscured list of IPs of users running Gnutella clients, and the ports they use to connect. It connects initially with it's hard-coded list of Gnutella Service Providers (limewire, gnutelliums, etc) then collects IPs to try to connect to with later. This is intended to make connection to the network faster, and prevent hammering of the GSPs.

Quote:
I've downloaded a couple of versions, including moaks (which I have placed in the xolox directory) and see there are differences between them based I suppose on the individual user.
There are differences because users are connected to different parts of the network at different times and collect different IPs (or at least collect them in a different order) If you use one of these files to try nd connect, always go for the latest upload avaliable. Better yet, go into your preferences and enter public.bearshare.net with port 6436 into your "add address" box. That will get you connected quick if you keep getting the "change network settings" box.

Quote:
The latter postings are a bit above me I'm afraid but do raise the question as to whether it's ok to be running say xolox,gnucleus bearshare and perhaps Limewire on the same PC and if there are any issues in doing so.

Is it possible to run one or more of them together?
There should be no technical problems with running these clients at the same time. Just make sure you configure each client to use a different port. XoloX currently can't be changed from 6436, so you will have to alter the other clients to use different ones. Also, because you are on a 56K modem, I would advise against it unless doing tests where you are connecting to yourself or over a LAN. With each program making outgoing connections, your bandwidth will be all used up doing nothing but routing queries.

Quote:
Final question, does the score figure on the search screen indicate the number of matching files and is best to go for a higher score number to get a better chance of resume?
XoloX assumes that files of the same size matching a query will always be the same file, and is usually accurate enough. So the score represents the number of hosts that have the file of a particular size that matches your query. a (+# parts) at the right of the score means that # many xolox hosts are currently downloading the file you are looking for and can send you some of what they have so far.

The higher the score the greater the potential to download from multiple sources at once and resume on disconnect. It is ill advised to try downloads that have scores of 1, or 0 with (+# parts) as you may not connect to the 1 host with the file and never find it again afterwords, and a xolox user who is still downloading may decide to cancel the job, leaving you with no one else to download from.