View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2005
Gnutella Admirer

Cougar is flying high
Lightbulb Bitrate was key for me

I experienced the same thing with songs available in large (popular) quantities, contiually coming in corrupt. I don't really download songs much, and not for a few months, but when I did, I tested theories out and came to one possible key to avoid the problem.

It appeared that 99% of the BAD music files tended to have non-standard bitrates values. I'm talking about bitrates that are NOT 128 160 192 256 etc. If they were something like 185 or 197, 201, even when there were over 100 copies of it available, it seemed that it showed up marked corrupt and none of my players would play it, including ALL of the most popular audio players (for PC).

I found that by finding a standardized bitrate-marked file, most usually spelled differently in filename than the norm that was failing (thanks to smart sharers who probably realized the problem), then I had no problem, and after realizing that, and changing the download strategy, ultimately nothing was permanently a loss to try for.

Other than this bitrate issue, most of my corruption failures, were simply due to my own computer having crashed during download. (not Limewire's or Gnutella's problem at all.)

Hope that helps someone, assuming the problem still exists (for whatever reason has been causing it).

Limewire seems to have improved greatly in error checking (verifying) files upon recieve. I don't think enough good can be said about the latest Limewire verisions.