View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Trojans, Viruses and Spyware

Dear Lindyloo

I don't know about AVG but if it is anything like Norton Anti-Virus it must be updated regularly, so it may not have this Trojan in its database now but it soon will. As long as you keep your virus/Trojan definitions/database up to date you have very little, if anything, to worry about.

If you want extra safety then use Prevx Home V2.0 as well, this is an anti-secret installation software that stop things creeping into your PC and installing themselves. It is FREE and available from here:

http://www.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

Lindy, there is something you must understand about protection software and that is every popular protection application is a target. The aim is to disable your computer's protection and then steal information from your PC, such as your banking or credit card details. However, throwing away your protection does not make you safe, like the man who threw away his bullet proof vest, it only makes you more vulnerable.

And also, please remember, a Trojan, virus or spyware does not seek out a protected PCs, they find careless owners and vulnerable PCs.

Here is something that recently happened to me:

A few months ago my teenage son downloaded something onto my PC, what it was he wont say (he his now banned). Whatever it was it targeted both my Norton AntiVirus and Firewall, it rendered both of them useless and locked me out of their controls

It took me the entire day, from 9am to about 7pm, to get my anti-virus and firewall working again, and back in my control.

Now, I realise that because of my son's download, which had this hidden crap in it, some of my protection apps were hit (and hit hard) but I and my PC were not deliberately targeted it was just a trap that was set for the unwary, and my son fell into it.

However, that will not stop me from putting the protection back in place because it is there to protect my privacy and, to an extent, my family's way of life.

One other thing, remember the Sasser worm, nearly all the unprotected PCs in the western world were hit, I know of friends, friends of friends, and relatives that fell victim to this worm. However, while this worm was crawling into PCs all over the world I did not even get a sniff of it. Because I had my firewall in place, which makes my PC invisible to the internet, and my anti-virus, which eliminates anything that comes in via e-mail or embedded in a web page.

I consider that my entire arsenal of protection software, anti-virus, anti-spyware, intrusion prevention, firewall, port checker, etc., is there for my benefit and I will not uninstall them just because some miscreant may have targeted one or two of them.

UK Bob

PS. Hope my reply has not been too long.

Last edited by ukbobboy01; February 13th, 2005 at 11:49 AM.