View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2005
King_Cole

Quote:
Originally posted by arne_bab
Is that server inside your private network or outside it?

Do you have to get outside that NAT shielded LAN?

It might be, that Phex is able to get by the router and connect all clients with the outside, because it randomly chooses a port at first start, but that could also be blocked by the firewall, so you might have to change it.

In Phex you can simply set your IP to the internal one, if you want to (tell it to use it).

To make the network private you'll have to change some small bits in the code (but that isn't so hard, I also managed to do it, and I left a guide in the phex-cvs, which describes how to do it).

Can the Provider Application be theh same as a Client App (so that clients can also share)?
Because that is what you get with Gnutella (and downloaders can also download from each other like they do in BitTorrent).

In Phex you can also block all hosts, which aren't from your internal network, but using it as private network, this shouldn't really be necessary.
1: Server is outside the private network, it is a public server with a known IP.

2: What I meant by the internal network is my office LAN. All client PCs on this Lan have internal non-routeable IPs and the gateway is set to the IP of the broadband router. The Provider app running on client PCs lets me specify the port no. and then starts listening for incoming connections on that specified port.

3: The provider application cannot be the client, the provider will only provide the content and the client will only get the content. But it doesn't matter, I can change the provider to become a client also.

4: Basically what I need to do is allow the provider to provide its own connection details (ip, port) to the server so that a client can take these details from the server, initiate a connection to the provider and get the content. The problem I am running into is I don't know how to get the correct connection details of the provider and whether it is possible for the client to connect to a provider even though the provider is behind a NAT.

Thanks for your help Arne, I really appreciate it.

Cole