View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2005
Novicius

ToddBradley is flying high

I have exactly the same complaint. Jarritos. My machine's super fast, with a ton of memory, no viruses, no spyware, regularly defragged, etc. And yet when I run LimeWire, everything on my PC slows down to an irritating level.

There's no way I can leave LimeWire open all the time, or my PC just becomes unusable. Which is sad, since the Gnutella network benefits from people connecting and staying connected. But its gotten so bad I now just connect long enough to get files from others, and then disconnect.

One of the more annoying symptoms I have is if I'm listening to MP3s or any other digital music on my PC, when I bring the LimeWire window to the foreground, the music just stutters and skips non-stop. When I minimize LimeWire, it gets better again.

I'm not sure if things got suddenly slower when I upgraded Java to 5.0, or if it was when I installed the latest LimeWire. I'm 90% sure the problem is one or the other of those, or the interaction between both of them.

A quick look at Windows Task Manager shows the LimeWire.exe process pegged at between 91% and 95% of the CPU. It's also using 104 megs of memory, which seems pretty extreme, given that Firefox "only" uses 76 megs and Outlook "only" uses 54 megs.

ps. My favorite Jarritos flavor is "pina" (sorry, I have no tilde on my keyboard) but I also like "tamarind".