Thread: Legal
View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

sigh. what country are you in?

In Canada and Britain, it looks like music (at least) downloads are legal. Having copyright material in your shared folder may even be legal. . . . or "not illegal" . . . or whatever the courts call it.

The point is, there is a strong push on the part of some trade organizations like the RIAA and the MPAA to redirect the flow only through their pockets . However, it's as if they are trying to catch all the water flowing over Niagra falls.

Can you be traced? I suppose if "they" really wanted to. Once the information is "out there," you cannot erase it from your ISP's logs, or whomever recorded it. If you really want to be more anonymous on the net, google "anonymous filesharing."

Just make up your own mind what is fair, and lobby or support the groups who think like you.

Some infringing material is in your shared folder? Well, have you helped advertise the "product?" Did you go out and purchase what you liked?

Since the legal situation is far from clear, I just do what I think is fair and ethical in the meantime, and hope for clearer guidelines in the future. YMMV