Thread: Privacy??
View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2005
Novicius

fmh is flying high
Default Privacy??

Just how much privacy does this P2P business afford? If one wanted to download, say, copyrighted material, what's to keep any company interested in protecting its copyright from finding it on your computer? Or what's to keep anyone from whom you have downloaded copyrighted material--theoretically let's say it's out there as bait--from identifying you specifically?

I use Limewire. What's the relationship between Limewire and Gnutella? I thought I was going to a forum about Limewire, but I find myself on a forum about Gnutella instead.

Napster was sued out of existence, and those who are caught downloading (or perhaps sharing) movies over P2P networks have been sued. How has Limewire (or is it Gnutella?) managed to survive in the face of such aggressive tactics on the part of RIAA? I've read that software companies are also starting to sue.

If there's someone out there who understands how all this works, or can direct me to a place where it's explained, I certainly would appreciate it. I'm sure the answers are bigger than the quesitons.