Thread: Anonymous Proxy
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2001
Unregistered

I tried going through an anonymous proxy as well, as a way be more, shall I say, hm... anonymous, that's it!.... The proxy server is supposed to translate your IP address into a different one visible to the rest of the internet and therefore the Xolox network. Only the proxy server knows the link between your IP address and the new one assigned to you, essentially hiding your identity. That link dissapears when you disconnect from the server, so if anyone tries to find out who was uploading the new Mike Jack Son single from a given IP address, the trace stops at the proxy server with no way of going back to your ISP. Pretty cool...

Anyway, I tried the same experiment and got the same results, that is I couldn't connect to the network. That 's weird since I thought the Gnutella protocol was based on http (but I may be wrong here....), and I have no pb web browsing through a proxy server.

To answer your question, I'm not sure whether Xolox supports that type of proxys, but from my experience it doesn't seem like it...