View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2005
91 is my age not my IQ!

David91 is flying high

Welcome to the sometimes nutty world of searching. It would be nice to think that inputting a precisely worded search would only return relevant hits. Unfortunately, making searching that precise and exclusive would penalise all those who couldn't accurately remember what they wanted or couldn't spell it or didn't really know what was available and therefore wanted big lists of hits from which to make their selections. Thus, in your search "Tragically Hip, Grace Too, at 128Kbps" you included a speed and would therefore expect a return of any and every track available at that speed. Yes, it is that nutty! The system checks the whole phrase and its individual components. So you would also expect to see all those tracks categorised as "hip hop" as well as references to squareness, amazing tracks and tracks saved by those challenged people who think it is funny to spell "two" as "too".

I have always thought this was a good outcome, finding much of the music I now enjoy through the serendipity of the search engines I have employed.