View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2001
Unregistered

Default Re: Unbelievable

Yes, but don't forget that laws are not set in stone, and they must serve the needs of a society. It's clear that clients such as Napster and Gnutella exist because of failures in the pricing schemes of those below-mentioned companies. Martin Luther King was breaking the law for years before people finally woke up and changed an unjust law. The question really is whether it's just to put people in prison for copying such material. Does the punishment fit the crime? Are the current laws reflecting the needs of our society? "Breaking the law" alone is a moot point--the real issue is WHY are people doing it? The answer: because the laws are unjust and fail to provide for our modern society's needs. It used to be that artists couldn't exist without the publishing house because there were no means to distribute the music without one. Now, publishing houses are obsolete--and to compensate for their dwindling importance, they're lobbying for stricter copyright laws which don't even serve the artists themselves, and which threaten to keep the web stuck in a pen-and-paper age. We should all be proud, as King's supporters were, to break arcane and unjust laws.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Sorry but I couldn't let this pass.

Here you are, advocating a program which enables the copying (yes copying - not sharing, you are keeping your own copy) of copyrighted material, original purchased by someone else.. and you're calling others freeloaders!!

WAKE UP!! Despite this supposed religion of uneducated morons who believe that all musicians / software makers / movie makers are evil, money hungry, we rule the world, warlords and don't deserve to be protected by copyright laws.. YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW.. end of story!! The reason Napster has failed is because IT IS BREAKING THE LAW!!

And please don't state that you are not copying any 'copyright' material. Why are you all so keen to push for a completely decentralised, anonymous client.. BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!

Look, I use it as well and admit to the fact, but I'm not overcome by some stupid dillusional belief that we all deserve to have this music / movies / software for free.. I admit it.. I am breaking the law!!

GET WITH IT BUD - YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE!