View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2005
Disciple

OutToDestroyTheEarth is flying high

Except that is what is called in legal terms "Self serving". In other words they can print their own rules on a tape, but as they have no legislative powers then they have no rights to inforce said rules. For instance if I was to rip that tag off my mattress that says "Do not remove under penalty of the law" then the mattress company cannot go to the police and demand my arrest without getting laughed at. If the record companies do not want their material copied then they would need a specific law on the books to back that up, otherwise they made a rule that cannot be legally inforced by anyone.

Having said that, these rules only apply to the media outlets who recieved these tapes. While the record companies could punish them for abusing the rule by refusing to send them videos in the future, they have little els to go on. And media outlets, especially MTV, have transfered these videos, if what you mean is dubbing copies. And since this only applies to the media outlets, it does not apply to those who tape these videos at home and who do not see such rules posted. Once again, the only way to stop file sharing of music videos is to prove that it is illegal and the only way to do that is to prove loss of revenue due to unfair competition from the un-paid for downloads. As they are still not selling 99% of their music videos then there is no way they can argue even this. Besides, if they did have a pay service that let people download videos, prefebly ones that do not air on American television or have not in years, no one would even bother looking to download them for free because of the hassle. They would rather get good copies from the sorce, provided they were charging a reasonable price. [ about $.75 per video] This is only the last resort between music fans wh cannot find these things anywhere else.