View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2005
Novicius

jeeptravel is flying high
Default Many unwelcome downloaded folders produce p2pnetwork.exe virus

Ok, I think I have some info.

Here's how it occurs:

1) Sometime while downloading from Limewire, hundreds of mass produced "mock" file folders (mine were zipped) appear in the Shared folder.

2) After a restart, an application tries to SETUP: DO NOT CLICK NEXT!!!!!! Click CANCEL.

3) I noticed this virus disables regedit. Go to the Windows folder and you will find a little grey rubiks cube thingy. It is a sortcut that will open regedit.

4) Do a search for the string: p2pnetwork. After each find, delete it. Keep doing this (there were 12 in my registry).

5) Restart in Safe Mode. Run regedit again. Search for string again. Should be only one this time.

6) If you have a maintenance program like tuneup utilities, that's great because you have to get into the msconfig startup area. Delete all occurences of p2pnetwork.exe.

7) Restart. Check registry for occurrences of p2pnetwork.exe. Delete if they are there. Recheck startup pgms. If p2pnetwork.exe is stil there you may have to restart in safe mode again and repeat. It wil work, but it may take time and patience. I HATE THIS BUG.

Good luck, I hope I've helped someone

jt