Thread: Damn newbies
View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2001
Unregistered

Default Damn newbies

Okay... My name is Stephanie and I'm a newbie. Please accept my apologies in advance, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

I have a quick and easy question for all you gnutella nuts out there. I have just started using Mactella (don't start with me) and am finding it hard to get a good connection. What I'd like to know is a) are there any ip addresses that are *always* online or just super-reliable and b) if so, when I add these manually, using my 'Add' button, will the program remember these addresses and try them next time I use the autoconnect feature?

The reason I ask this is because I read this from the 'Getting Connected.html' file:

3) Either click the “Auto-connect” checkbox which will cycle through the built-in list of IP addresses associated with available or once available Gnutella clones. Nodes are on and off the network frequently which can invalidate addresses on the built-in list. Using the “auto-connect” will update the addresses that Mactella stores as it cycles through trying to connect to hosts. So, the more you use it the quicker it is to get connected at a later time. This list is kept in the Preferences folder and is named “Mactella Hosts”.

Obviously I don't get it, but where is this 'built-in list'?

Thanks all!

Regards,
Steph.